New to ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcham5150

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How's everyone? If you live up in NE your probably like me just waiting for the warmer weather so I can get out there.

Just a brief into...

I am an avid Treasure Hunter meaning I metal detect and have done so on land for about 6 years well a few years ago I got a dive detector and figured the next step would be to dive with it. So last summer I got certified and had some problems with boyuency and it was a mess so all in all came up with one Gold Wedding Band.

I dont have a buddy and mostly dive at around 10' to 30' but have taken all the precausions and spared no expence. Most reciently I've meet another land hunter and he wants to hit some foundations while I hit the ropes swings but my face gets a bit cold in these temps. Does anyone know of something I could use to keep my face warm my hood works well but the openings around the mouth and forehead are a bit frosty.

Well thats my story nothing really exciting happening for me underwater swam up on a picknic bench at 30' I thought that was pretty cool and the fish are interesting but its Gold and Silver I'm after. Funny thing if I could pack everything I own and head to warmer weather all I would do is look for lost ships. I've have found just about everything even as a child I dug up a ruby the size of you thumb nail. A few years back hit a ring with a finger attached its almost like something is telling me something like this might be my calling. Well first I have to beat the cold, any inexpensive ideas.

I'm sure it will be nice to meet all of you and perhaps hook up with someone from the neighborhood to do some hunting.

Jamie

Well this turned out as friendly as a metal detecting fourm LOL. Thanks for your help......

jamie

Hi Jamie, I am not sure what you are asking for your post but if you are looking to find people to hunt with while diving, you need to put some more info in your bio so we know where you are and if there are common interests. As for my experiences on SB, most people here are very friendly and more than willing to answer questions or offer insight to a problem.

From your first post, you seem to be looking for two things. 1) Dive buddy's who like to hunt and 2) a hood or mask to cover your face so you don't get so cold.

To address #1l as for dive buddy's, you need to give a location and see what comes your way. But you will find that most people may have a problem with your buddyless diving you have done so far given your newness (assumed from the information you provided in your first post). Others may not care at all.

Regarding #2 the hood issue, you have this question buried deep in your rambling prose so it is hard to know what you are asking about. If you need to know what type of hood to get then maybe ask the question in just one post. Something like "I dive in cold water and I hunt for treasure, I find my face gets cold and I am looking for a hood that covers my face so I don't get cold on my forehead and near my mouth. Any suggestions?"

As for your second post, I am not sure what or who is on the metal detecting forum but I think that you will find a hard time looking for buddy's if you act as though we are unfriendly people because we did not understand what it is that you are looking for. Your best bet would be to go to the introduction thread and post a note there that says, "I am a slightly new diver who dives sometimes without a buddy, am located in ... and I like to underwater detect for treasure. Are there others who are interested in that. I would like to talk ..."

You are more likely to get some responses. But then again, maybe not.

Good luck to you. As for me, I am not interested in hunting for anything but mammals to see (and not touch) and wrecks to explore. I am not sure where in the NE you are located. I am from Chicago but I suppose I could list the MW or USA and then I would be telling everyone where I am, in the big picture sense. The NE could mean anything, NE Siberia is one place, NE Aruba is another. But NE in general is not an adequate description. Add some details to your bio. Nobody is going to know who you are unless you tell them.

Well thankyou as far as being in the water without someone belive me comming from a man who has had a lifetime of time in the water most buddies that run out of air freak out and grab and any line I have hooked to me. As he described never in his career see anyone in trouble remain calm.

However on the flip side I went out this past weekend under the ICE. I had a friend on land but I lost by way with no way of finding the 25' hole I made to get in. God must have been looking out for me because one minute I was on soft sand hunting the next no bottom floor and no direction to get back to the opening:confused:. I lost it for a second but knew I had at least 45 minutes of air and a back up so I remained calm and found my way out. Could I have used a buddy in this case (YES).

See metal detecting in fresh water only brings me to depths of about 25' and I always carry a spare air tank in case I need to get to the top. I live in CT like everyone else paid an arm and a leg for my equipment but the one gold ring I found last year was well worth it.

As far as the mask well even though I was under about 6" of ice and a water temp of about 20 I was pretty warm maybe it was the fear of being lost but no advice needed on warmer head gear. I did buy some warmer under your hood mask it ripped before I even got it into the water. My hood did well but in truth I wont be ICE diving again.

Thanks I'll fill out my BIO

Jamie

Only thing i can thing of is to get a Full Face Mask. 2 Brands i know of where you can get a decent price and thats Ocean Reef and AGA big debate between the two but like anything its personally preference and fit and feel if you have money and want to spring for top of the line dont think anyone makes better Masks then Kirby More geared for commercial but would accomodate anything

Just in case you ever mail something, NE= Nebraska, not Connecticut. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom