New to Scubaboard (South Florida Couple)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grender

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone, my wife and I are relatively new divers. We got our C-card in August of 2014, and we are presently working on our AOW card.
I found ScubaBoard while I was browsing the interwebs, looking for some advice on gear.

We are happy to be a part of the community here at ScubaBoard. If anyone else is in South Florida and they have any opportunities or leads for us, we are usually game.

James & Kim

Welcome. Where have you dove so far and with which dive op.s? People can advise better if they know your specifics.

Welcome. Where have you dove so far and with which dive op.s? People can advise better if they know your specifics.

We were certified with Divers Cove in Davie.

Most of the time we are hunting for lobster, usually dive the reefs off of Fort Lauderdale and Pompano with American Dream Dive Charters and Scybatyme Dive Charters. As far as wrecks are concerned, we have seen the Jay Scutti in Fort Lauderdale and the Benwood in Key Largo.

At the moment we are working with our instructor to schedule a dive at the Spiegle Grove in Key Largo for our Deep and Wreck dives (PADI AOW Course).

My thoughts on both dive charters:

American Dream Dive Charters: (2 tank dive) 46' boat, shaded parking, soft drinks, snacks, hot shower, camera/gear table, great crew, etc etc etc... They load and unload your tanks and will switch your gear from the first to the second tank if you need or want assistance. These guys are off Monroe Street and the 17th Street Causeway in Fort Lauderdale. I have nothing but excellent things to say about this operation. Their profiles are usually '70 wreck/'30 reef unless they have something special going on. ScubaFortLauderdale.com - Home of the American Dream II

Scubatyme
: (2 tank dive) 36' Boat, soft drinks, snacks, showers, camera/gear table, great crew, etc etc etc. They load and unload your tanks and will switch your gear from the first to the second tank if you need or want assistance. Enzo (the owner) is usually on the boat diving with the customers. He is a great guy, heavy Italian accent (from Milan). Their profiles are usually 60-80' reef/ 40-60' reef unless they are doing something special. Scubatyme is probably my favorite charter at the moment. Scubatyme Charters: Pompano Beach Scuba Diving Experts. Wrecks, Reefs, Spearfishing & More!

There is excellent shore diving in South Florida but I am spoiled by boat diving and since I have the means, I would rather not haul my gear on and off of the beach.

Other spots we've been:

Memorial Reef
Cool place, am glad I've seen it. Not really in a rush to get back there.

Molasses Reef
Very cool place. My wife drove down to visit this place soon after receiving our C Cards. This was the first time we dove without an instructor or divemaster. Fortunately, Molasses Reef is relatively shallow and very beautiful. I would dive Molasses Reef any time. It is on the Pennekamp Reserve so hunting is strictly forbidden, allowing the reef to flourish and prosper.

Jay Scutti Wreck: Cool wreck in about 70' of water. It is part of the 'wreck trek'. There are three separate wrecks a few hundred feet apart. We only made it to the one because the current was unfavorable. I would def return to this wreck. Wreck Trek Ft Lauderdale - South Florida Diving Headquarters

Benwood Wreck: Not much left, just the skeleton of a large ship is left. Lots of life, but not what I was expecting to see of a wreck dive.

Finally, I would like to put in a good word for the folks at Divers Cove in Davie, where my wife and I got certified. I would recommend this shop to anyone looking to learn SCUBA and meet good people. Very social bunch of folks work there and there is a great community atmosphere surrounding the regulars. 90% of my dives are with people I have met through the shop.

Some of us from west palm have a trip for the 31st to the speigel, doing a double dip in the morning and and two afternoon reef dives.

Some of us from west palm have a trip for the 31st to the speigel, doing a double dip in the morning and and two afternoon reef dives.

Thanks for the invite. Our instructor wants to go the second week in February because there are a bunch of AOW students that are planning on going.

However, I am going to this in Pompano on the Feb 1, looks pretty interesting.

Pompano Dive Center will be offering a heavily reduced price for a dive charter/certification course to help cleanup our local dive sites!

We will be hosting a PADI "Dive Against Debris" course on February 1st. Our Course will start at 10:00am, and we will be doing 2 dives at 1:30p.m. There will be a break for lunch in between.

This course will cost $75, and will INCLUDE:

1. Two Tank Dive with Odyssey Charters
2. "Dive Against Debris" Distinctive Specialty Certification
3. PADI Distinctive Specialty Certification Card

The course will include:
-Course Presentation
-Two separate dives to audit and collect garbage
-Data Slate logging per Project Aware procedures
-Inventory of garbage collected
-Submission of Date to Project Aware

Rentals are always additional.
Must be Open Water certified.

Call 954-788-0208 to sign up, or sign up for the event, here.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1421505841403263/?pnref=lhc.recent

highly recommend checking out Dive Gear Express in Pompano for any and all gear purchases, they are the best prices in the country and have high quality gear.

howdy and welcome James & Kim....sounds like your off to a great start with your diving adventures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom