New to Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nauifins73:
Welcome to the Board. Please let us know what you think of Bonne Terre when you get back home. I didn't realize they did Open Water checkouts there. I hope to go there this Spring.
Becky

I'm back, and what a rush. The trip was a very good time. The mine is a truly unique place, nothing like what I expected.

My instructor and I did the normal drills on each of my ow dives, but since I was the only student, and we had a safety diver/guide already, after I did my 3-10 minutes of drills, we got on the move. I got of visit the "Shallows" on two trips, which is kind of an open bowl they use for training/ow. Pretty rocky, but does have an open end that allows you to fin out into another shallow area that has an ore cart with various mining implements you can see and touch. The visibility in the deeper transition areas is clear to the bottom (60-90ft).

The other shallow area is the balcony or ballroom (I'm not sure), but it was a surface swim over for me, and then a descent to 25 feet or so. Run through the drills and explore a bit more. I got to see the tipple, or ore cart dump, and more ore cart tracks, and another ore cart. They also took me to a shaft that they have divers ascend through one at at time. I had some stress going on crossing the deeper areas since it is so blue and so much visibility, but did ok with it.

I did one more short dive on Saturday, and got out very tired :) On Sunday, one more ow, then my fun dive. On the fun dive, we hooked up with the rest of my group, and I got to go with them on the end of trail three, and we met them as they ascended up the shaft one at a time. The best part was crossing underneath a very large ceiling area following the guide. I swam on my back at about 40 feet and the guide diver from the mine was pointing their light at the ceiling where the air bubbles looked like puddles of mercury trapped up there. The water is so clear it is almost like it isn't there at all. On the other side of the overhead, the guide turns off the spotlight so you can look up at the pillars supporting the various levels, and it looks like lots of blue windows in a very large room.

Anyway, I came home very tired but excited.

:)

wow... that sounds awesome. i'd love to do that dive some day.

great that you had a blast. and it's only the BEGINNING!! :bounce:

Hello Gemma, what is Spain like for Diving? Is it typical Med. or is there something different? We dont see that many Spanish Divers here in Malta even though it is close. Let us know.

H2Andy:
wow... that sounds awesome. i'd love to do that dive some day.

great that you had a blast. and it's only the BEGINNING!! :bounce:

I know, the ink isn't dry on my card yet, and I'm already ready to go again :) Hope to make Ginnie Springs while I'm down in FLA.

Kat:
Welcome to Scubaboard Primalchaos,

Also check out Great Lakes Wrecking Crew, here on the board. We're under Scubaboard Clubs, near the bottom of the screen, on the home page.

Kat
...or on the bottom of Lake Michigan.
We should be doing a few get-togeathers this summer, the first being on June 12-13. Check out the thread "Another Chicago Dive Party".

MgicTwnger:
...or on the bottom of Lake Michigan.
We should be doing a few get-togeathers this summer, the first being on June 12-13. Check out the thread "Another Chicago Dive Party".

That one looks full already, but keep posting them. It would be fun to meet folks from here, so I know who I'm talking with :)

primalchaos:
That one looks full already, but keep posting them. It would be fun to meet folks from here, so I know who I'm talking with :)
Keep an eye on that thread, a couple of people are not definate yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom