New to Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

animian2002

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm new here as well as to scuba. I'm in the midst of getting my "licence" to dive :D . I have just completed my class session and will be proceeding to the pool session soon and the very much look forward open water dive at Pulau Aur, Malaysia.

So any word of advices from the pool of experts here ???:)

That's all

Ciao

Thanks . I'll keep that in mind ..:)

Originally posted by Welshman
Relax and enjoy it!

the more you can relax the more enjoyable it will be

Hi

It's me. I have just completed my FIRST pool session. and I am enjoying every minute of it. But one thing I don get it is why I have difficult balancing underwater???... can someone pls advice.

First I have 6 Ibs weight on but not helping much. My instructor added another 2 lbs more ...helps a little bit...but still shaking *LOL*...so why is that so...??? :confused:

don tell me I have to add more weight cos If I do I will have problem when I'm on dry land ...too heavy... ;-0

so is there any way I can balance myself beside adding more weights...

Can someone advise an amateur like myself :D ...

Thanks

Ciao
Animian2002

I'm not sure what you mean by balancing.... do you mean buoyancy? - your "float" factor?

Originally posted by animian2002
But one thing I don get it is why I have difficult balancing underwater???...

I'm assuming you mean bouyancy. If not, and you actually mean staying 'pegged' on your knees on the bottom while you go through your drills, the answer is the same.

Practice practice practice. The more your under, the better you'll get.

don tell me I have to add more weight cos If I do I will have problem when I'm on dry land ...too heavy...

Beginners have a tendancy to breath at the top of their lungs... i.e. your really only exhaling half of your breath. It's a natural reaction, you want some in there in reserve. However that will cause you to need more weight to stay down. As you relax and get more experience, you'll find weight comes off.

Now about 8 lbs being to heavy... that comment generated quite a chuckle out of me, and I'm sure others. I'm psyched about diving in warm water in a couple weeks, and being able to go down to ~16 lbs, down from the 30 I have to wear in the waters I generally dive!

Oop

Right...that 's the word - buoyancy..:D ..

we were under water learning how to use the 1st stage - breathing underwater, removing BCD..clearing mask etc..and despite the "heavy" weight I'm carrying...I still have the tendency of floating up or tilt to one side ;-0 (ps: my weight were spread out "evenly")..my group "buddy" aso had this "problem"..is it got to do with the way we inflate or deflate BCD. the instructor and assistant seem to be doing very well under water...how do they do it ...

So wat am I to do to manage it well under water ???:confused:

appreciate some advice from the pool of experts :)

thanks

Beginners have a tendancy to breath at the top of their lungs... i.e. your really only exhaling half of your breath. It's a natural reaction, you want some in there in reserve. However that will cause you to need more weight to stay down

Funky_monks

I agreed that I do "behave" that way :D BUT how do u pple "control" that ..I thought the key point is we are not supposed to hold our breath underwater and in order not to do so aren't we supposed to slowly exhale..by doing so naturally there will be air at the "bottom" of our lung.:D .

do u all take long breath or short one...?? and do u pple exhale to the very bottom of ur lung then u all inhale again or wat...

pls teach me ..hehehe...I wish to be able to master the breathing technique b4 I proceed to the Open water...hehehe:D

Breathe fully. I take a six second inhalation, a pause, six seconds to exhale, and a pause. The pause is about a half of a second. Do NOT hold your breath or close your airway when you pause though. You have to exhale everything out of your lungs, otherwise you could run the risk of too much CO2 in your lungs.

Back
Top Bottom