New to SCUBA, how's my gear so far?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScuba

Reaction score
Not yet certified, but I wanted to see how I'm doing with my gear purchases so far. (Going in for first part of class in February.)

Here's what I have to date:

ScubaPro MK16 / G250HP

ScubaPro Twin Turbo Fins

TUSA Liberator Mask

ScubaPro Boots

Next purchase may be the ScubaPro KnightHawk BC with Air2 and then finally a Uwatec Aladin Pro Ultra computer.

Oh, that's nice stuff....

I have not found a better mask than the Tusa Liberator-I found much more expensive but not better.

You are in Minnesota. You should get a dry suit. They are wonderful and not hard to use when you get used to them. Dry suits are much much better than a heavy, hard to get into wet suit. Ask Bob3(on this board) about a dry suits. He is rep. for Viking and Nothern Diver brands.

Many responses are going to say to get a backplate and harness. And if you do a lot of diving in the future that is the way to go instead of the BC.

If you plan on diving in MN., instead of getting the computer, I would get a dry suit first. If you plan on diving only in warm water, on expenisve trips, then the computer is a good investment because it will let you maximize your bottom time.

But for any MN. diver I recommnd a dry suit......

Mike

Respectfully, I'd like to offer a different opinion than Buff...

I dive in Lake Ontario (surprise) and dive wet. I'd suggest diving wet for the first year or so. Diving on a Dry suit adds a whole bunch of complications; which as a new diver you don't need. Rather than spending task management time worrying about a dry suit, I believe that you should focus on the key skills like bouyancy control, dive orientation, situational awareness.

I'm comforatable in my 7mm 3/2 down to 49F or so (below that, I'm fine in the water but the SI are killers :hehe: )

Having said that, I fully agree that as you develop in skills, and dive deeper and longer - the dry suit is a critical piece of equipment.

Nothing wrong with the rest of your equipment list, although I would consider a good Alt regulator rather than an Air2. There is a thread on this board that discusses that in depth.

I found diving in a wet suit in 30-50 degree water to be one of the most miserable experiences in diving. I weigh 210 pounds and have the wrists and ankles of a 12 year old girl-they are skinny. When I would put on a wet suit I would think "What's the point?" The water would just flush in past my ankles and wrists and I would freeze. For the price I would have paid for a custom cut wet suit I bought a dry suit and have never been happier.

Absolutely get your fundamentals down before tackling the dry suit. But make the dry suit a top priority. I spent a lot of money on wet suits before spending a little more to get a dry suit.

I would ditch the AIR2 thing like Ontario Diver says and get a real backup. If you want to stay with Scubapro then the R190 or R380 are nice choices that are inexpensive. I have never used either of these regs but they get good reviews and positive responses from the Scubapro users on this site.

If you decide to dive wet, consider a semi-dry suit, which is actually a wetsuit, but with neck, wrist and ankle seals designed to minimise waterflow in the suit. Shouldn't cost much more at all than an ordinary wetsuit. I use my 7mm one in Monterey in 53 degree water (with a hood) and cold has never been a problem.

Ditto on getting a good backup regulator - if you breathe your Air2 - you've got your inflator hose in your mouth and not in your hand controlling bouyancy where it should be. As said, pros and cons of those discussed elsewhere already on this board.

Who makes a "semi-dry" suit? Mares?

Do the suits have seals- like on a dry suit- or are they just dams placed inside the suit to minimize water from flowing not into but throughout the suit?. I thought about adding latex or neoprene seals to my wetsuit-it's a 5/3 Bare.

which are basically wetsuits with seals.

I am not diving in very cold water so i can't really say, but if you are dvng wet or semi-dry, layering might be a good idea.

A basic 3, 5 or 7 mm is a good start (depending on the water temp) than the addition of a hooded vest, jacket and some other stuff, will enable adjustments. I would go with a 1 pc as the basis.

But again, my cold water experience is probably not enough to comment. Anyway...

Ari :)

Well, I now know that I have found a board that I can get honest answers from, along with good varying opinions. I am looking forward to many great dives in the future and will take all your advice to the shop before making a purchase of any kind.

Thanks all!

(I'll be having my face in the PADI Open Water book the next couple weeks!)

PS... Buff (or others) You ever dive Square Lake in Stillwater? That's pretty close to home for me and probably where I will be going most of the summer months.

As I understand, a semi-dry wet suit is a regular wet suit with seals at the wrists, ankles and neck. Usually there is some work on the zipper as well.

Me, I'm 220 lbs with wrists and ankles the size of small trees. Getting wet suit arms on is enough of a problem, so I guess I haven't found a need need for one. Always dive with a full bibbed hood as well.

Pretty well all of the major wetsuit manufacturers make some type of sealed wet suit Check out this website : http://scubadiving.com/gear/8twopiece/review.shtml for a few tips

I just got a 6.5 semi dry suit for x-mas and I love it. I would say to date one of the best peices of gear was my 7 mm full hood. I sucked the first few dives but after that it was nice. I would caution against the brand of computer you mentioned above...THIS IS MY OPINION AND WHAT I HAVE HEARD FROM fellow divers. A lot of guys are trying to unload those brand of computers because they hve crapped out at of course the worst time possiable. The group I dive with all dive oceanic some air integrated and others do not. I use the data plus 2 .... 51 dives in 6 months down to 132 ft and not once did it crap out..my buddy the instructor use the pro plus and has put 350 dive in 8 ,months and his is without fail.. For the price I couldnt beat it. Btw the semi dry lets a little water in to a terri cloth material and your body heats a little water not a lot. There is no water layer between you skin and the suit. My girlfriend got mine from this guy in cali.. http://www.wetsuits1.com/. Well there you have it. Bash the computer issue if you wish just mmy personal exp.

LAter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom