New to SCUBA - Few Questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This computer BS has got to stop. Unless you are certified by the only agency that only does OW certs only with computers you do not have to have a computer to make a dive! All you need is a max depth depth gauge, timer/dive watch and tables!

If a buddy team dives with one computer, the non computer diver is running a tables profile! If you are a real buddy team as some define it here, both divers ascend when the plan is complete. On many boats, the team can wave goodbye at the ascent line and the tables diver must ascend when the tables plan is complete!

IMHO, Beginning divers should spend their money diving, not on $2000 of fancy gear. By the time you spend $2000 on diving you might know what gear you actually want/need!

If affording more than one dive computer is going to be a problem, you really can't afford to be involved in this sport...sorry, just being honest!

But the honest truth is there is nothing wrong with diving tables. If one buddy has a computer and one is on tables, the team should dive the tables profile. Telling someone they shouldn't get involved in scuba because they can only afford one computer is over the top.

IMHO, Beginning divers should spend their money diving, not on $2000 of fancy gear. By the time you spend $2000 on diving you might know what gear you actually want/need!

I agree. I can't tell you how many newly certified divers I meet on trips and boats who are unhappy with the gear they purchased to get certified only to find out that they really don't like the gear.

Diving more and will allow you to gain experience . If you dive with rented gear (different shops offer different styles, brands, etc) and experience what each type of gear has to offer you will get a feel for what YOU like and dislike. From there you can make better decision when buying gear.

I suggest that you buy the mask, snorkel, fins and maybe a 3mm wetsuit. Rent the rest of the equipment for the first couple of trips and you will have a better handle on what equipment you need/like/want. (There is a lot of dive equipment purchased at at the time of certification that ends up either gathering dust in garages on on eBay.)

The mask is the most important component and will probably run you $60-75. Take your time and get a good fit. Kind of like ski boots -- it's worth the time.

The snorkel is a minor issue, and IMHO inexpensive is the key.

Fins. Hmm. My opinion is that if you are going to do all of your diving in warm water (tropical) locales full foot fins are the way to go.

My wife was certified three years ago and got a full package from ScubaToys with a Zeagle Zena BC, Zeagle regulators, gauges/compass, and a nitrox compatible dive computer for under $900. No shipping charge. Sweeeet.

[BTW, not sure if mentioned above, but have you made plans for your certification? If you have the vacation time and money to travel, you might consider doing the class and pool work locally, and then doing your final certification on a referral to a dive instructor at a warm water locale, such as the Keys (in the summer when the water is warm), Cozumel, etc.]

Good luck!

Cert runs about 300+ bucks and most cert classes require Mask Fins and snorkel. You can check into diving up in VA like Lake Rollings scuba park and some other spots to dive more often locally if you enjoy it.

Most shops can rent you everything or at the least tanks, weights, BCD and reg setup, so diving vacations just expect about 50(down here usually its 15 BCD, 15 Regs, and 10 each tank including airfill) a person in rental gear each day unless you pack your own. For being able to dive without renting gear you need a BC, Regulator setup, weights and tanks ontop of the snorkling gear. Tanks are cheap enough to rent (about 5 bucks over just getting a fill) so it isnt bad to rent them but BC, and regs can get expensive renting them every couple weeks.

I would wait till after classes to even think about getting gear since some is overkill and my class atleast covered all the checks to make sure everything is good asides from getting a regulator serviced which depending on the price you would pay sometimes end up better buying new.

To buy online, ebay has some occasional deals, craigslist can get them, leisurepro, scubatoys.com, scuba.com, forcee.com, diversdirect.com, and divers-supply.com (i think) are all decent sites but i would check the Local shops too since some of them sell their rental gear and down here they do the service for you so you can get some good deals at times.

my initial setup was i think 150 in used gear that was checked out by my LDS prior to using. My new setup was reg 225 (rental dive shop sold), and Computer 650 (hoseless air integrated which is a bit excess but very convenient) and my old bc which was around 50ish with AIR2 (for the redundant air source). If you shop around you should end up with about 100 in a good used BC, about 325 in good new reg(Aqualung titan LX or similar), 300 in new nitrox capible computer, and 50 in an octo. With a setup like that you shouldnt have to upgrade/replace anything unless it breaks, you go trimix or start diving dry.

Diving gauges is perfectly fine, just plan your dive and remember your plan. My restarting diving setup was used gauges, used regs, and used bcd like 50 or so for BCD (a friend sold me an old one which was good) and my regs were off ebay with the gauges for about 80 and throwing the repair tech at the shop a 20 helped getting it all checked out.

I really appreciate everyone's comments. I was very apprehensive about the costs of supplying me and my fiance with scuba equipment all at once. We are definitely taking the class in Northern VA this spring and will be certified when we go to cozumel. Thanks again to everyone.

None----the internet----about $500 I think, new(in 1985 that is---------it was a long time ago---in fact bought 3 complete sets, one for me, my wife, & daughter)

To meet the treading water requirement of the OW certification, are you allowed to use a snorkel and mask? I have snorkeled without a life vest for well over an hour before, but have never really tread water for more then 5 minutes.

To meet the treading water requirement of the OW certification, are you allowed to use a snorkel and mask? I have snorkeled without a life vest for well over an hour before, but have never really tread water for more then 5 minutes.

Although people call it a tread, it really isn't. There is no requirement of how you do it. You just have to stay afloat in deep water for ten minutes.

No, a snorkel and mask are not allowed.

Back
Top Bottom