New to Scuba, and completely LOST!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Being responsible for your own equipment" may easily mean that you spend 200$ on rental for the days of training and you won't end upmuch cheaper than taking a regular course at any dive schools. I would advise against buying an entire setup before the course (what you mentioned,mask/fins/snorkel are fine, but I would definitely skip buying regulator, wetsuit and dive computer before OW).BTW pink is not an unusual color underwater, especially if you dive in the tropics:wink:

Great thread with lots of good advice. My feeling, like any others, is that it is all about the instructor. That said, learning from a good friend that teaches part-time or as a hobby may not be the best idea. I'!d consider a professional instructor that has taught many many students with experience in teaching other instructors and divemasters. The quality of experience and understanding of the industry will be on a much higher with a professional instructor. The is no substitute for experience.

Others might disagree, but I'd also suggest renting equipment for a while, even after your certs. See what other divers are using. Check out different masks; wetsuits all fit slightly different. Say after 10-20 dives(?), you can easily decide on a mask, fins, and wetsuit. Snorkel - I use the absolute cheapest model. Wait for BCD, computer, and regs., you might decide that you want to travel and purchase a lightweight BCD. Your perspective on diving and personal equipment will really change with time (20 vs 100 dives). With the money you save, go diving. The more time underwater, the more you will learn and appreciate good instructors, divemasters, boats/crew, and buddies.

so from what i've seen the OP stated that the $70 is going straight to the instructor as their fee. They still have to pay for materials, EQ rental (if they don't buy everything yet), and the OW dives. i would consider the total cost of it then and compare that to the regular prices of the dive shops around your area that include everything like that. mask fins snorkel are usually the min requirements and are to personal fit. which is going to be cheaper? hard to say since the OP did say this would be private instruction too. One question that came to my mind is what are the current standards for IDEA compared to PADI/NAUI/SSI etc?

One question that came to my mind is what are the current standards for IDEA compared to PADI/NAUI/SSI etc?

As a member of the RSTC, IDEA agrees with PADI, SSI, SDI, and some other agencies to follow at least the published RSTC standards. NAUI is not a member of the RSTC.

just looked at both websites (WRSTC & IDEA) -- the site is a little bare on details but if the price is right I see nothing wrong with the OP's deal, factoring in rental costs, pool, and OW charter.

Take the time to find a mask that fits well, and has the kind of visibility that you want. Set the mask against your face and inhale through your nose. If it does not stay on, it will leak bad when you go under. After you find one that sticks, make some faces (smile, frown, ect.) to see if it leaks in these positions. Some masks have wider fields of vision than others. You will want to get booties, and fins that fit over them. Some people like split fins, because they are less stressful on your legs. I prefer solid blade. If I want less stressful, I will not kick as hard. Check various wetsuits too. Different brands will have different cuts. Temperature decreases with depth, and heat loss will contribute to fatigue as well as increase any other problems you may have (task load, nitrogen narcosis, ect.) ALWAYS hook up and check your reg and pressure gauge before leaving the rental facility. Look for the least hammered rig that they have. Take your time and have fun!

On the equipment subject there has already been some great advice about choosing a mask and a good mask is the one that fits well and is comfortable it could be a cheap no name brand as long as it has a good seal and your happy with it there is no need to spend a fortune. My favourite mask cost me $20 and I have been using it for 20 years, thats some good value for you. I would say the same for a snorkel remember when you are diving your snorkel is only there for use on the surface and that is a very small part of your dive. These days lots of people don't bother with them at all (which is a bad idea) or they have one of those new roll-up emergency jobs on there belt. You can get a decent cheap snorkel for under $20 that will do the job nicely. Fins on the other hand are a whole different ball game. I would recommend grabbing a set of second hand fins and make them a good quality set something like Mares Avanti X3's or Quattro's you can get a decent second hand set for around $30-$40 and they will give you great performance. That way you will not get burned spending big bucks on a set of fins that don't suit you. Then as you get experience you can try out other fins by renting or borrowing from your fellow divers then when you find something you really like you spend your money on something that you know will do the job.

IDEA is a small but respected Agency. I was an IDEA Course Director (also certified with NAUI, PADI & CMAS) for a few years, but am no longer current with this Agency. Generally speaking, IDEA holds closer to the older Standards which requires that the training program to be a bit longer than most. They purposely don't employ on-line education, because they see a value in Student/Instructor interaction in the Classroom. I certainly wouldn't shy away from IDEA because it's a smaller Agency, but there may be a difference in the training intensity that you would likely receive from PADI (IDEA like other Agencies encourage their Instructors to surpass the 'Minimum Requirements' for certification) so you may bite off more than you realize. Discuss the program with the Instructor.

Divers can't be cross certified unless the Instructor wishes to issue another card and they possess 'current teaching status' with that Agency. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom