New to NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ve been diving for 30 years primarily in the Great Lakes Area. I just moved to Hampstead NC to go full time with my dive business Black Water Recovery Divers. I was out here in 2020 and did a few Meg dives. Looking forward to getting back out. If anyone cares to share their favorite wreck sites or Meg sites I would love to get the boat out.

Just went the other direction at the beginning of the year and moved from NC to Indiana (not by choice, wife took a job up here). You'll love that area!

The Hyde is a solid wreck. Depending on the time of year, you'll see some sand tigers roaming around there. The Markham is also right near there and you'll find quite a few operators that combine the two on 2 tank charters. Definitely take a look at the Frying Pan Tower. If you go a little further south, take a look at the Hebe and BP25. If you head north towards Morehead, U-352 is a must!

The operators that I have dove with that I would recommend are:
Aquatic Safari - Wilmington
Max of 18 on their big boat, so it can be a larger group. Captains and staff are solid and the cost is reasonable.​
WETSU - Carolina Beach
Smaller boat (6 pack), but Steve (Captain) is great and has a solid understanding of where the great meg sites are. Couldn't recommend these guys highly enough.​
Coastal Scuba - North Myrtle Beach
They leave from Calabash and are a great option for sites further south.​
Olympus Diving - Morehead City
Top notch operator and a whole different set of dive sites further north vs what you can access via the Wilmington area.​
One other thing that I will recommend, if you're looking at doing any additional education, the team at Carolina Dive Center in Raleigh is incredible. The hardest part of moving from NC was leaving that group there. Definitely give them a look: Carolina Dive Center - Dive Shops, Scuba Gear, Scuba Lessons

Just went the other direction at the beginning of the year and moved from NC to Indiana (not by choice, wife took a job up here). You'll love that area!

The Hyde is a solid wreck. Depending on the time of year, you'll see some sand tigers roaming around there. The Markham is also right near there and you'll find quite a few operators that combine the two on 2 tank charters. Definitely take a look at the Frying Pan Tower. If you go a little further south, take a look at the Hebe and BP25. If you head north towards Morehead, U-352 is a must!

The operators that I have dove with that I would recommend are:
Aquatic Safari - Wilmington
Max of 18 on their big boat, so it can be a larger group. Captains and staff are solid and the cost is reasonable.​
WETSU - Carolina Beach
Smaller boat (6 pack), but Steve (Captain) is great and has a solid understanding of where the great meg sites are. Couldn't recommend these guys highly enough.​
Coastal Scuba - North Myrtle Beach
They leave from Calabash and are a great option for sites further south.​
Olympus Diving - Morehead City
Top notch operator and a whole different set of dive sites further north vs what you can access via the Wilmington area.​
One other thing that I will recommend, if you're looking at doing any additional education, the team at Carolina Dive Center in Raleigh is incredible. The hardest part of moving from NC was leaving that group there. Definitely give them a look: Carolina Dive Center - Dive Shops, Scuba Gear, Scuba Lessons
Thank you! I fell in love with the place back in 2020 when I came here for a Meg trip. We dove the Hyde and also 3 dives going after Meg teeth. Ended up with Carolina beach scuba and the owner took us out. He’s retired from what I understand now. If anyone has his contact information I would love to talk to him. He had a turbo o ring blow out on an engine and we ran with another charter the second day. Super good guy just lost his number and name.

I would book a charter but I have a 28’ boat and want to start hunting on my days between jobs. I’m not going to book a charter and poach numbers so I was looking to see if I could buy some or barter for them. I definitely will check out the Markham. Thanks again for the information and good luck in Indiana! You’ll love diving the Great Lakes and if you get a chance hit up the Straits or Presque Isle.

Welcome to the forums! Only diving I've done in the Carolinas so far was a double-dip on a Tug near Myrtle Beach (diving with Coastal Scuba).
Thats awesome. I think that tug was my first ocean dive back in 1999. I was on my senior trip and the guy I was down with was spearing sheepshead. I was carrying his stringer of fish and he happened to point out a circling shark. I dropped the stringer and made a v line for the surface. Looking back I was in the wrong but I was 17 and it was my first time seeing a shark. Live the Carolina’s and the history here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom