New to me Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive_turkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I recently purchased a used Zeagle Ranger. This predates the dual dump valves, and the zippers are backwards from current red zipper models. Initially, while testing the BC, the dump valve failed to reseal due to some salt build up. I completely disassymbled and rinsed out the bladder and all valves as soon as I returned home. It would seem that now everything is working just fine. Should I be concerned?

Secondly, the BC arrived with a scubapro inflator installed on it. I'm not thrilled, but it works. I do plan to install a Zeagle BX Inflator so that I can utilize the hose attachment. Are there any known issues with using non-zeagle inflators?

The reason I ask is because I intend to take my time with the purchases. Zeagle products are not inexpensive, so I prefer to wait for the right deal. Ultimately, I plan to purchsae a zip mount system, rear weight pockets, and yellow mesh weight bags as well.

So, I recently purchased a used Zeagle Ranger. This predates the dual dump valves, and the zippers are backwards from current red zipper models. Initially, while testing the BC, the dump valve failed to reseal due to some salt build up. I completely disassymbled and rinsed out the bladder and all valves as soon as I returned home. It would seem that now everything is working just fine. Should I be concerned?

Probably not. A very light coating of silicone grease of the rubber dump valve sealing surface, such that a finger wiped across it comes off dry, would be a good idea. But assuming nothing has been cut/punctured by the now removed salt crystals, you're fine.

Secondly, the BC arrived with a scubapro inflator installed on it. I'm not thrilled, but it works. I do plan to install a Zeagle BX Inflator so that I can utilize the hose attachment. Are there any known issues with using non-zeagle inflators?

Not really, though unlike the BX inflator the SP one isn't based around a glorified schrader valve, so rather than servicing it by replacing the valve you either rebuild the SP inflator or you toss it and get a new one. I think the BX is an overpriced piece of over-engineered hardware, but the screw on/screw off connection is great for flushing the wing and/or attaching an Atomic SS1. I have at least one new, unused BX sitting around if you want one cheap; no idea what USPS flat rate shipping to Germany is though.

The reason I ask is because I intend to take my time with the purchases. Zeagle products are not inexpensive, so I prefer to wait for the right deal. Ultimately, I plan to purchsae a zip mount system, rear weight pockets, and yellow mesh weight bags as well.

Whatever floats your boat. If you want a like-new zip on Zeagle deluxe SMB with SS spool and high-viz line, you let me know :wink: I had a Stiletto LTD to start out and though the zip mount system was cool, too...but I got over it pretty quickly when I realized it was not the best SMB or spool or mounting option on the market, just the one that looked sexy on a Zeagle BCD.

Probably not. A very light coating of silicone grease of the rubber dump valve sealing surface, such that a finger wiped across it comes off dry, would be a good idea. But assuming nothing has been cut/punctured by the now removed salt crystals, you're fine.

Not really, though unlike the BX inflator the SP one isn't based around a glorified schrader valve, so rather than servicing it by replacing the valve you either rebuild the SP inflator or you toss it and get a new one. I think the BX is an overpriced piece of over-engineered hardware, but the screw on/screw off connection is great for flushing the wing and/or attaching an Atomic SS1. I have at least one new, unused BX sitting around if you want one cheap; no idea what USPS flat rate shipping to Germany is though.

Whatever floats your boat. If you want a like-new zip on Zeagle deluxe SMB with SS spool and high-viz line, you let me know :wink: I had a Stiletto LTD to start out and though the zip mount system was cool, too...but I got over it pretty quickly when I realized it was not the best SMB or spool or mounting option on the market, just the one that looked sexy on a Zeagle BCD.

1) Silicone grease, check! Thanks for the tip.

2) How much would you like for the BX? Flat rates to APO's should not be that much at all.

3) I have an SMB, but find myself without a spool for the time being. I suppose for the right price, it wouldn't hurt to throw it in the same box with the BX. Biggest problem is finding a set of the actual zip mounts. I really don't want to pay $50 for two 6" zippers and a piece of velcro strap.

4) What's up with your signature? I have a Cobra3 and just started using MacDive... should I be applying silicone grease to my laptop, too???

Last edited:

Lector's tip was spot on, as long as the salt crystals didn't leave any great impressions in the rubber the OPV should be just fine. Just keep an eye on it to see if anything else starts to build up and react accordingly.

We see a variety of different inflators installed on our BCs when they come back here for service and it hasn't ever created a problem, as far as I've seen. You can definitely use it until you get the replacement inflator of your choice without any worries about performance issues. Get that toy budget built back up! :wink:

Lector's tip was spot on, as long as the salt crystals didn't leave any great impressions in the rubber the OPV should be just fine. Just keep an eye on it to see if anything else starts to build up and react accordingly.

We see a variety of different inflators installed on our BCs when they come back here for service and it hasn't ever created a problem, as far as I've seen. You can definitely use it until you get the replacement inflator of your choice without any worries about performance issues. Get that toy budget built back up! :wink:

Thanks, Jeff! I had assumed as much. My concern, which I failed to articulate, was that some inflators are not recommended for cold water usage. I know the BX inflator is. I don't know much about this scubapro inflator, but I also haven't started to look yet. Mostly due to the assumption that I will have it replaced before we get to freezing temps over here.

Last question for you then. How long before Zeagle offers a discounted LTD upgrade package for us simpletons?

As I understand it, the main issue with an inflator for cold water is the demand it can add to the first stage: if it's capable of and used to blast a lot of air into the wing quickly, while you're also breathing heavily on the reg, then that's more likely to trigger a free flow. I'm not sure about how great for cold water the BX would be...it's got a schrader valve, but then again so does your LPI hose. Not sure if the BX is going to be more of, less than, or equal to of a potential demand on the first stage relative to the SP inflator or similar designs.

I see, and that makes sense. However, I think I still prefer to have the Zeagle inflator for the rinse luxury if nothing else. I do need to identify this SP thing. I suppose I'll keep it as a spare just in case. Here is a picture of it:
sp14.jpg

I've used the BX inflator for a few years now on my old Escape and it works great. Never had a problem with it. Besides allowing a good flush of the wing it also allows the inflator a good rinse. I think $40 is a reasonable price-- you get a brand new inflator and the flush system in one kit.

Alright. Well, I located a good deal on an inflator, but I'm still missing the coupling to attach it to the hose. Is it possible to purchase just the connector/hose adapter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom