New to Humboldt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
New to Humboldt county and looking for dive buddies to help familiarize me with the area. I'm a PADI certified instructor and trying to get my feet wet and perhaps start offering classes in the area since there seems to be a lack of it available.

Welcome, hope you find some! I would love to dive up in that area, as well as east of you in Lassen.

New to Humboldt county and looking for dive buddies to help familiarize me with the area. I'm a PADI certified instructor and trying to get my feet wet and perhaps start offering classes in the area since there seems to be a lack of it available.
My family heads up that way for vacation but I often leave dive gear at home for lack of buddies. Next time will be sure to ping you.

I'm an experience cold water diver looking for a dive buddy up here in the Eureka, Ca. area for dives in the greater Trinidad area. If you are interested, please reply back so we can schedule a meet-up to make plans.

I've been looking at the dive sites I've heard about. I'll do some more checking this weekend. So far, the most promising is in Trinidad from the beach between the big and little heads next to the Seascape restaurant. I've been told this is one of the beach entries used by CalPoly. If you walk out on the pier and down the walkway to the dinghy dock, you can look straight into the water. The visibility was poor earlier this week. I'll check again this weekend when there's less wind and favorable tides.

Snorkeled the beach next to the Trinidad pier, checking out the rock walls to the north and south and I can't say I recommend it except maybe to see if it gets better at depth. Visibility near the surface was 5 feet and maybe 10 in spots. There's a beach just to the south called Old Home Beach where I will snorkel next. It's arranged like a giant-sized baseball infield enclosed by rocks at the player positions for first, second, shortstop, and third. There's a kelp bed at the pitcher's mound. I've learned to avoid the huge tide swings up here and to pick days with light wind. Good tide/wind windows open up in a few days, I'll snorkel the Infield then.

Snorkeled the baseline rocks at Old Home Beach. The surface was nearly flat, for multiple days prior. A boat fisherman said out at the tip of Trinidad Head, he could see down at least 15 feet. For me visibility was a definite 5-10 feet, better than my last dive, so no losing your buddy in the gloom, if you're careful. At second base, off of Old Home, I dove as deep as I could, at least 10-15 feet, wore some extra weight to stay down. A flat rocky bottom came into view and unfortunately sea urchin barrens. The kelp is eel grass in the shallows, mostly feather boa in beds further out, and some bull kelp in small beds. I pulled down some bull kelp and urchins were definitely attacking it at the base. Little monsters!

Back
Top Bottom