New to drysuit diving, question for Dutch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm working on my drysuit cert and will be going to DS in 2 weeks. I purchased a DUI CF200x, picking up some light undergarments, have 3mm gloves and was advised to buy a 3mm Neosport X-Span hood.

Is 3mm enough for this time of year? I am pretty good with cold water but wondering about that 1st (or 2nd) thermocline. I went to Dutch last year in July, we all bypassed our hoods on the 1st dive and paid for it - water felt like our heads were in dry ice.

Or should I get 5mm?

I actually have a 3 mm, 5mm, and a K01 8mm. My belief is that it's better to spend a few bucks and have what you need. I'd lean towards the 5mm on the 1st dive and if it's too warm, change to the 3 on the second.
For the bottom, you're likely going to want more than a 5mm even.

Thanks Jim, appreciate the advise. They're pretty cheap on LeisurePro, going to add to cart and pay for both 3 and 5mm

yes 3 mil. gloves & hood are fine for diving at Dutch Springs- this time of year- just remember the first thermacline is about 35 feet down & 2nd one round 70 ft. roughly and that deep south wall remains in high 40's year round. I suggest a 200 gram undergarment ,I use most of time except. when water goes below 40-like in beginning and end of dive season and Feb. Instructor weekend, then I go drysuit gloves & 7 mil hood and 400 gram fourth element undergarments..

yes 3 mil. gloves & hood are fine for diving at Dutch Springs- this time of year- just remember the first thermacline is about 35 feet down & 2nd one round 70 ft. roughly and that deep south wall remains in high 40's year round. I suggest a 200 gram undergarment ,I use most of time except. when water goes below 40-like in beginning and end of dive season and Feb. Instructor weekend, then I go drysuit gloves & 7 mil hood and 400 gram fourth element undergarments..

So since I'm new to dry suit diving, I was told to buy undergarments that wick away water, and to wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt over it. I was told this will be enough for Dutch this time of year.

Eventually I will buy real dry suit undergarments, I don't think I necessarily need to buy from DUI as their prices are pretty expensive, I think I may be able to find dry suit undergarments from another company that are not as expensive.

I have 2 sets of DUI undergarments, and I suggest you look into fourth element undergarments, they are far & above best made- light weight & extremely warm, just remember the thicker the layers you add- you will have to increase lead. Being a Instructor with well over 200 drysuit dives at Dutch- I would suggest that you plan to bounce a couple of times from Cesna to bottom of Island,that is best way to fine tune your bouyancy in a drysuit. Remember that once you are coming up close to Cesna 20 ft.-make sure to hold your arm up and vent air out of drysuit or you will rapid ascent..

So since I'm new to dry suit diving, I was told to buy undergarments that wick away water, and to wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt over it. I was told this will be enough for Dutch this time of year.

Eventually I will buy real dry suit undergarments, I don't think I necessarily need to buy from DUI as their prices are pretty expensive, I think I may be able to find dry suit undergarments from another company that are not as expensive.

Are the sweatshirt and pants polyester fleece or cotton? Hope they're the former.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom