New to diving !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spotify

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello I am very new to diving and have found a set of gear on craigslist- scuba gear . I was just wondering what you guys think of the setup. This is for the BC, and reg- The bcd is a oceanic tour . the main reg is a scuba pro mk1 first and g500 second stage with a us divers octopus. the pony bottle reg is a us divers titan first stage with a scuba pro r190 second. I plan on diving in california and mexico for the most part.
Thank you

The photo is not very clear but I estimate the gear is around 15 years old give or take a few years. My recommendation is to pass on it. For $1,200 you can get new gear that fits you exactly and is what you want. Wetsuits compress and lose their stretch over time. Dive lights have advanced rapidly. Many people prefer backplate and wings over a bc.

I would pass on it and take some time to rent and figure out exactly what you want so you only have to buy once and get something that you absolutely want and fits you the right way.

I never understood this comment. Granted it has been years since I needed to rent gear but from what I remember dive shops did not have a wide variety of rental equipment to choose from. Also depending on the shop it can cost $20 to $40 to rent a full set of gear excluding the tank. 5 dives at $40 is $200 which is a substantial sum of money, it almost half a BP/W setup.

What I meant by it was give some stuff a try in the water before buying it and look at all the options to see what suits you the best before you buy so you don't end up buying twice. I bought a jacket bc because it was cheep and than not so later on i switched to a BP/W because i did not like the jacket. It would be better to try different options be it jacket, Back Inflate, or BP/W before committing to a purchase.

I’m interested in picking up this ScubaPro MK7 Air1 he says it’s 10 years old and has been stored away so it will need service done on i he is asking for $500.00 CDN for it. I’m looking at about $175.00 for servicing as well what’s your thoughts on it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• D8E7EF86-A23E-4C2A-9B5A-B567289A0079.png
    D8E7EF86-A23E-4C2A-9B5A-B567289A0079.png
    790 KB · Views: 41
My .02 cents.

You do not know how well the equipment has been taken care of. Regs can be rustbuckets and BC bladders rotton or power inflator hoses corroded and buttons sticking. Repairs and servicing could cost you enough that buying brand new would have been cheaper and you'd have gotten what you wanted upfront.

I’m interested in picking up this ScubaPro MK7 Air1 he says it’s 10 years old and has been stored away so it will need service done on i he is asking for $500.00 CDN for it. I’m looking at about $175.00 for servicing as well what’s your thoughts on it. Thanks in advance for any advice.
You revived a very old thread, it had been better to start a new one.
I love those vintage SP regs, but economically what you want to do is nonsense.
These are really old parts, finding service kits can be a real trouble, and only people who service them directly should consider buying such things (well, I am one of those who service myself my SP regs).
But also the initial price is absurd: a MK7 "honker" is a very particular reg, with its acoustic "reserve" and fixed yoke, which cannot be upgraded to DIN. It should go for less than 50 USD.
And the Air-1, if in mint condition, should be less than 100. If I make the conversion correctly, 500 CDN is more than twice that value.
Spending 175 USD for servicing them is a gross guess, too. Depending on the place where their service them, and on the need of changing some critical parts, you can easily spend twice.
With all that money spent, you still have a 30-years-old system, and not a "standard" one (such as a MK10+G250, which would be much preferable in my opinion).
For more or less the same money, you can buy on Ebay from Europe a brand new MK17EVO+G260.

Thank you for that information I’m going to look at buying something newer that doesn’t need service better to be safe than sorry so many reg sets out there for sale it’s difficult to know what they are worth and if parts are available. Thank you all for the good advice especially with a new diver 👍

Back
Top Bottom