New to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crash-A-Nova

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I did a discover diving class this last weeken and I am very interested I'm diving I am planning on getting cert in the next month or two my question is after I'm done getting my cert I would like to look into getting my own gear. I'm looking for suggestions in what type of gear to get so I can research and see what's best for me any suggestions on BCD, fins, boots, mask, computer, regulator ext. any help is greatly appreciated I would love to get the best of my experience in scuba diving

thank u

i would just stick with mask,fins/boots,and snorkel. those are basics that most OW require. anything else should probably be rented until you're sure will stick with it. stop in your local dive shops & try on!

I would recommend you go to your LDS, try on some gear. But for now if you are planning to do your OW certification you don't need any gear. I would only stick with a good mask and snorkel as the rest should be provided to you while you do your certification. You will get lots of comments on choice from everyone, I use Mares, other scubapro. I'm glad I got my own gear because it forced me to out out more often then renting it from the LDS. Plus when I go down south, I prefer my gear compare to what they offer, especially in countries like Mexico, Cuba or DR. Good luck....

I do agree with the rental and plan on using rental during my course and few dives after then I would like to look into getting my own. I'm just wanting to do some extended research so I can get my money's worth.

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2013 at 03:20 PM ----------

I hear alot of good things about scuba pro.

Get the simplest, cheapest, old style j tube snorkel you can find. Don't let a shop try and talk you into a dry snorkel. I sell a simple j tube that I now recommend to all my students and even have kids in my YMCA and Girl Scout Snorkeling Skin Diving Programs using. Price $15.00.

Mask is all about fit. A $100 mask is junk if it doesn't fit and a $25.00 one is priceless if it does.

Boots depend on location but something in the 5 mil range is a good for most with a decent sole.

Fins - I recommend to my students who are only doing recreational dives a fin that costs under 50.00. Some other brands sell the same fin for upwards of 80.00.

I don't have any masks over $50.00 in stock and most are much less than that and fit a wide range of people. And I can get about 9 different styles in the one line. I also can get Apollo masks that run upwards of 250.00 for this one that is great for those who it will fit and need this particular mask and all the options it offers Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Masks: Bio Metal Pro to this one that retails for 79.00 Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Frameless Mask

In short you can start out with as little as 125.00 for good dive quality Mask, Snorkel, Boots, and Fins up to several hundreds (like 650-700). It's all about what you need, want, your interests, and your wallet.

Spent the next couple of weeks, until you finish your class, perusing the Equipment subforums here. Almost anything you can imagine has been discussed at length there.

I also advise renting first and buying after at least a handful of fun dives. Do you want to dive in cold water? How cold? - This affects your exposure protection and regulator.

One thing you might buy staight away: a simple+cheap nitrox dive computer. Here user replaceable standard batteries are probably the most important factor.

Mask is all about fit. A $100 mask is junk if it doesn't fit and a $25.00 one is priceless if it does.

Mask is all about fit don't look at the price. A $25 mask is junk if it doesn't fit and a $100.00 one is priceless if it does.

While you're looking through the equipment sub forums here, don't just look at the most recent, page back and see what's recommended year after year,rather than what today's fad is.

While you're looking through the equipment sub forums here, don't just look at the most recent, page back and see what's recommended year after year,rather than what today's fad is.

I couldnt agree more with GILLSCALES. Try out different variety of equipment and see what best suits you and your diving and don't get to stuck on the "FAD" it might be totally opposite of your diving style

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom