new to diving & in need of help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've bought plenty of stuff online from US. Never had a problem yet, but living in white rock, I just get it shipped to Blaine and go pick it up. It's about 5 mins away. This saves on shipping, brokerage, and often taxes if it's not an expensive item.

Saved me a fortune so far. BUt definetely make sure it's not UPS if getting shipped across the border. Brokerage isn't a flat rate for them. I've seen $100 items get charged nearly that from UPS for taxes and brokerage... Anybody else is better.

I haven't shopped there yet, but I've heard great things about Divers Wholesale. And to top it off prices are amazing. I've compared it to Leisure Pro and to that Dive Tank place just now. The Dive Tank prices are good, but they are in US dollars and If you convert it to CAN you will see that diver's wholesale pretty much beats every price.

They are based in Mission, BC. So even for us Vancouver people it's not too long of a drive. I believe shipping is also a good deal so shipping to the island shouldn't be too bad.

Hi Kat, as another diver mentioned, the lessons, especially OW, are subsidized to encourage divers to dive more, with the presumption that gear will be purchased at some point.

A couple of things to think about though, aside from the commonly referred to "where would we be without our LDS?" is that dive shops that focus on a couple of specific lines may have better costs on those lines and, thus, if you're asking for something they don't usually carry they may have difficulty being competitive. Aside from that, with costs relatively close among shops, if you point out an example of a particular item that is priced significantly higher than somewhere else, I'm sure they will see what they can do to come closer to the price if they can. Some shops, the one you completed your OW with included, may also offer loyalty programs whereby further discounts are offered when you purchase x$ worth of lessons or gear. If you ask, you may find in the end that the pricing is not that far off.

As well, some shops may have artificially higher prices on gear if they are positioned at a dive site.

The other thing to keep in mind is servicing. A friend of mine bought a dive computer online and had to send it away for service. He was without it for two months.

happy diving,

ryan.

undersea Kat:
Hi does anyone have Ideas on a online equipment company based in Canada. Or any clue as to the duty on scuba equipment if it is shipped from a company in the US. Any help would be great I am new to diving and lookig for a full set of gear for cold water. I'm located in Victoria BC any help would be great.
Hey Kat........the buysell is good and so is diverswharehouse.com (good prices), also Torpedo Rays from Halifax NS (they ship anywhere). Good luck!

So far I have bought some gear from LDS, but honestly, you gotta be fair. A diveshop has overhead and has to turn a profit. Small quantities are sold, they have a storefront, customer service... There are lots of reasons to buy from LDS. I'm very open and honest with my shop and they know I buy online. I'll talk to them about prices, and if they can come close to a price I can find elsewhere with similar services, I'll buy from them. Afterall, if nobody goes to LDS's anymore to get gear, where are we gonna take classes, get air fills, BS with fellow divers in person? I for one want to see my LDS stay in business.

I would be careful buying online... As you know there are deals to be had but sometimes at the cost of a warranty and after sale service. Give your LDS a chance and I bet they will match the price and give you the service.

LDS's can't meet online prices. It's just not possible. Online people are buying from a warehouse with few staff, no service, no storefront, and deal in massive quantity. For the LDS to compete would run them out of business in no time.

Warranty and service are definitely thing to consider when buying gear though.

undersea Kat:
The main reason I have for not buying everything at LDS is the prices when speaking with other friends accross Canada I am findig BCDs here are aprox $300 higher than in Eastern Canada & $400 more than in Arizona. Wet Suit 7mm are $200 higher here than in the US. & Reg & Gauge sets For Dacor & Sherwod $300 higher which does not include the Octo. The LDS are great for courses and Toys but I Just can't see spending $900 to equip my self. Call me cheap but a $900 difference in my pocket makes all the difference.

Kat, if you're willing to take the time to look, you can find some great deals out there. I've bought all my equipment through a variety of places, Vancouver dive shops, Ontario dive shops, ebay, buy and sell, online.. wherever I thought the price was right. So far I've been lucky and all my equipment have worked great, with the exception of some crappy Tilos gloves that I bought off ebay.

The buy and sell is a great place to look for used equipment and you can check out the condition before you buy. You have to be careful with ebay and make sure you the seller is reputable. And ask if they can ship the item to you as a "gift" to avoid taxes. This has saved me a lot of money in the past. And never ship by UPS, they charged an outrageous brokerage fee on top of pst/gst that can drive the original price by 20%

PM me if you're looking for something specific.

Hi there.
Another advantage to buying from lds is that some will give you the opportunity to "try" gear before buying as well as offering a buyback on purchased gear.
I know a few people whom have bought online with varying degrees of luck, but I like to get my hand on the gear and see what I'm getting. I also like the fact that if you can find a dealer you trust they can help to choose gear suited not only to you but your diving environment. What works in the tropics won't do here. It's important to get what you need, money comes and goes but you only live once....(you start diving)
anyhow good luck & stay wet

bcsean:
LDS's can't meet online prices. It's just not possible. Online people are buying from a warehouse with few staff, no service, no storefront, and deal in massive quantity. For the LDS to compete would run them out of business in no time.

Warranty and service are definitely thing to consider when buying gear though.
IDC has said they will beat any advertised price by 10% -- this was after I e-mailed them asking if they would match or beat a price on something (including a link to Divers Wholesale).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom