new to diving & in need of help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undersea Kat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi does anyone have Ideas on a online equipment company based in Canada. Or any clue as to the duty on scuba equipment if it is shipped from a company in the US. Any help would be great I am new to diving and lookig for a full set of gear for cold water. I'm located in Victoria BC any help would be great.

Hi Kat.

As of yet I haven't found a Canadian online store that supplies general gear, though there are some specialty stores. My wife has ordered some gear from the US and while she can't remember the exact amount of duty/taxes paid it wasn't extreme. (10% or so?) If you really want to know you can go downtown to Canada Customs and Revenue and ask them, or get the book. If you do ship from the US, don't use UPS. They charge $25USD to act as your 'broker' to bring the package in.

I have to ask though. You live in Victoria? The island is covered with Scuba shops. Do you have some reason that you don't want to use a local dive shop?

The main reason I have for not buying everything at LDS is the prices when speaking with other friends accross Canada I am findig BCDs here are aprox $300 higher than in Eastern Canada & $400 more than in Arizona. Wet Suit 7mm are $200 higher here than in the US. & Reg & Gauge sets For Dacor & Sherwod $300 higher which does not include the Octo. The LDS are great for courses and Toys but I Just can't see spending $900 to equip my self. Call me cheap but a $900 difference in my pocket makes all the difference.

undersea Kat:
Hi does anyone have Ideas on a online equipment company based in Canada. Or any clue as to the duty on scuba equipment if it is shipped from a company in the US. Any help would be great I am new to diving and lookig for a full set of gear for cold water. I'm located in Victoria BC any help would be great.

Hi Kat,

Check out the Bargainfinder.
Lots of almost new used equipment.
http://www.buysell.com/results.asp?results=no&id=1097&i=440&r=9

Most everything will probably need to be checked out by the LDS or someone qualified, but most prices are half of new.

Myself, I went with the package deal at the LDS simply for the lifetime warranty on the regulators and 2 years on the BCD.

Hope you find your gear.
Tom

http://www.abyssdivingsuits.com/ , and also Whites http://www.whitescoldwater.com/index.ASP ( based in BC) is a canadian Based company, Abyss deals in Dry suits.. as for other items other then suits I haven't had a chance to find anything. You should look for deals at your LDS, and avoid buying major gear online. I also think Abyss's main factory is in BC. Good Luck.

I live over here on the east coast. Could pick it up and ship it over to you. I shipped a 5mm shortie to Ontario for $11, so it shouldn't be much to ship out to you..let me know what u think. But for your gear you may spend more then $900. unless you look at used or check like Donuthole said a bargin store.. you might want to check www.liesurepro.com they sometimes have a lot of stuff on discount and really good prices.

The reason gear is so expensive here in W. Canada is because the courses are so cheap 260$CAD. Most LDS's in my area actually subsidise their ow students about 100-200$ on the hopes that they will buy gear and take at least AOW. Pool time here is very expensive and if you take your OW course in a drysuit it should take 7, 1 hour pool sessions.

Usually any thing shipped form USA to Canada is subject to the GST and if applicable PST, plus any brokerage fees, (there is no import duty per say, thats where the 'free trade' comes in, still the feds get there 7 % thou) if it goes via canada post the fee is five bucks, so here in Ontario anything ordered gets 15% + broker fee on top (ive paid form 5-25 bucks for that depending on courier)

undersea Kat:

Try www.divetank.com. Richard is the owner and he is located in Vancouver. The stuff he has on the website is just a small part of his inventory. I got all my gear from him recently at a great price.

Hope this helps.
Henry

Henry:
Try www.divetank.com. Richard is the owner and he is located in Vancouver. The stuff he has on the website is just a small part of his inventory. I got all my gear from him recently at a great price.

Hope this helps.
Henry

Hey thanks for the tip. did you get your regs & bcd from dive tank as well???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom