New thread about Suunto Vyper because the others are too old!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soakedlontra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have read two years old posts about Sunnto Vyper and considering that scuba gear keeps changing at a rather fast rate I have decided to start a new thread about it.

I have now reached a diving cul-de-sac. I have to resign myself to the fact that I have to buy a computer. Hardly anybody uses the tables nowadays and it is becoming more awkward to dive without one with new divers who do not follow the tables at all because they solely rely on their computers.

My regular buddy has a Suunto Gekko and he is happy with it. I used it and one thing that I do not like about it very much is that I cannot see the display (?) at night and I have to shine my light on it. So I have been thinking to buy a Vyper. I have read in the old posts that there is a Vyper 2 well I have the Suunto catalogue under my nose and I cannot see it. The Vyper (non air integrated) in the catalogue does not have the compass. Does it mean that this model is a Vyper 1?:confused:

In 2007 Charlie99 wrote this about Suunto computers:

"My biggest complaint about Suunto computers is not the conservatism of the algorithm, but that the NDL bargraph goes back to green as soon as you go shallow, rather than continuing to show high N2 loading until you have offgassed. (This is because the Suunto bargraph is simply a graphical representation of NDL, and NDL goes high when shallow, even when you are heavily loaded.)"

I think I have a general idea of what he means but can somebody elaborate a bit about this? How this, let's say, 'discrepancy' will affect my diving?

Thanks

Regarding the bar graph comment...

Charlie99 is basically complaining about the data that underlies the bar graph on the Vyper. While this shouldn't have any practical effect on your diving, as the computer is still tracking your NDL limits with its data display, the complaint is that the computer's bar graph is showing a simplistic NDL representation, instead of tracking your actual nitrogen loading from previous dives.

Some computers will track your overall nitrogen loading, and then as you off-gas (presumably between dives), your Nitrogen levels will fall and the bar graph will in turn decrease into the "green" or safe zone.

With the Vyper, the bar graph is just a representation of the overall NDL limit at your current depth (similar to the way a table displays the max deco time at a given depth), even if you have been deep for a long time and your nitrogen loading is potentially at dangerous levels. The Vyper ignores what you're been doing the rest of the dive in its bar graph display.

For the Vyper 1:

Yes, there is a backlight. But you have to push a button to turn it on, and it only stays lit for 10 seconds. You can extend that, but cannot set it to 'permanently on'. So for night use, you still need 2 hands and I find shining my light on my Vyper 1 is more convenient than using the backlight.

About the bar chart: wait - there is a bar chart on the Vyper 1? Oh, you mean that microscopic and totally useless piece of information on the left of the screen? I never figured out what was the value of that chart in air mode when you have a bigger, clearer and more accurate 'time to NLD' number in the middle of the screen.

I only played with the Vyper 2 in a store. The main differences are:
  • A matrix LCD, which I find harder to read but don't trust me on that
  • A digital compass, which definitely can't replace an analog one (it turns off after a while, sucks battery and needs to be calibrated)
  • Nicer charts and profiles in the log

(Btw, Suunto's web site is really informative - you can even download the manuals from there, which is the best way to decide which model you want).

Soaked,

The reason why you can't find the Vyper 2 in the new Suunto catalgoue is because they've replaced (and improved) it with the new Vyper Air. This doesn't mean they don't support the Vyper 2. I've just purchased a new Vyper Air (because I sold my Vyper 2 to my cousin) but you can STILL find Vyper 2's in dive shops around town and it is still a good computer. Don't let the fact that it is a 'discontinued model' sway you from purchasing it if it meets your needs. Essentially the Vyper 2 is the same as the Vyper Air minus the wireless air integration, a change to the electronic compass, it's a different colour, oh, but really that's it. The size, footprint, conservatism, algorithm and ease of use is identical. Now that it's no longer being produced, you may get a good deal on the Vyper 2...my cousin sure did!!

Last edited:
I don't know about the compass in the Vyper, but I have an electronic compass in my X1, and I find it so inconvenient that I cheerfully depend upon my SK-7.

Backlighting computers sucks battery . . . which is not a big problem if you have a user-changeable battery, so that's something I would check about the Vyper, if you intend to use continuous backlight at all (if that's even possible on the unit).

Most Suunto computers have user changable batteries. But as T says get a descent analog compass as the integrated compasses are not really that functional.

As for graphs - I have never paid attention to them. And personally the "conservativeness" has never bothered me. Most of the newer version have a 100% and 50% setting. Want more liberal set it to 50%.

I don't know about the compass in the Vyper, but I have an electronic compass in my X1, and I find it so inconvenient that I cheerfully depend upon my SK-7.

Backlighting computers sucks battery . . . which is not a big problem if you have a user-changeable battery, so that's something I would check about the Vyper, if you intend to use continuous backlight at all (if that's even possible on the unit).

Most Suunto computers have user changable batteries. But as T says get a descent analog compass as the integrated compasses are not really that functional.

As for graphs - I have never paid attention to them. And personally the "conservativeness" has never bothered me. Most of the newer version have a 100% and 50% setting. Want more liberal set it to 50%.

Thanks. All the comments that I have read so far about the integrated compass are negative and, beside, I have never had the intention to buy a computer with one.

About the backlight. It seemed a good idea. Now that I can use my light to light my wrist without dislocating my joints I can do without it. However it is a shame that if the computer has a backlight then it doesn't glow. If it glows it doesn't have a backlight. Ideally it would be nice to have both options available just in case the backlight stops working.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom