New Teric band - stretchy NATO band

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Their customer service is legendary, but I kinda doubt it is that legendary. :) I bought a Zulu band and have been pretty happy with it, but so far have only had it on one trip - Best Teric band ?

There are 2 year service intervals and I would guess this is checked as well. If the stock pins or band break with normal use, I figured it would be covered. Can’t imagine it happens often.

There are 2 year service intervals and I would guess this is checked as well. If the stock pins or band break with normal use, I figured it would be covered. Can’t imagine it happens often.
It might be...maybe somebody that has first hand knowledge will come along and share.

Hey @stuartv, are you still pleased with this band and recommend it? I’m currently using a continuous loop of bungee with my Teric to assist with putting it on one handed (and trying to not drop it on the deck) and as a “belt and suspenders” for securing it to my wrist. Thanks!

Hey @stuartv, are you still pleased with this band and recommend it? I’m currently using a continuous loop of bungee with my Teric to assist with putting it on one handed (and trying to not drop it on the deck) and as a “belt and suspenders” for securing it to my wrist. Thanks!

I am kind of indifferent to it, at this point.

The material is more stretchy than is ideal for scuba use. And, it is not as tough as would be ideal for scuba. That means, after using it enough, where I have stretched it quite a bit while having it on, to make it tight enough to not be floppy on my wrist during the dive, the material around the holes is starting to give up the ghost. No danger of it failing and falling off. Still totally useable - for now. But, I don't know that I'll buy any more when the ones I have finally give out.

@stuartv I know its been a while since your loast post on this thread, but I'm curious about a different point made regarding the NATO vs. Zulu band.

If I'm understanding correctly, the Zulu is a single piece of fabric while the NATO has a second sub strap to keep things secure.

What I'm curious about is in where people are concerned about the failure points. It seems this thread is only focused on a pin or lug breaking or coming loose. Either band seems to be appropriate to prevent the loss of a computer from this failure.

Wouldn't a more likely scenario be the breaking/tearing/cutting of part of the strap at the pin? Would the NATO style be a better measure to prevent this?

I'm probably being pedantic. At that point, I suppose the entire computer would break free from your wrodt and be gone.

Most decent Zulu straps are made of pretty hard core materials from what I've seen.

I figured that. I think what I seem to be fixating on is . . . how is it that we're more concerned about a pin/lug breaking on the dive computer before we're worried about the strap tearing or being cut? I haven't done a huge amount of research, but the pins/lugs on my Teric look like their made of metal. So long as I've torqued them properly, is the likelihood that the will break or work loose that much greater than the fabric of a band being torn, ripped, or cut?

The pins are often the weakest point. When taking off my BC while in rolling water before getting on the ladder (boat required this process) I once snagged my watch without realising it. Halfway back to the shop I went to check the time and noticed my watch missing. The DM and boat captain went back in the afternoon to where we were picked up (drift dive no less, not a mooring!) and found my watch 45' down!! The pin on the buckle had broken, just one side. Strap was completely fine otherwise, and the pins at the watch and the other side of the buckle were fine. At the watch they were the "beefy" Seiko pins (they come in different thicknesses and these were the thick ones). The strap was a Seiko dive strap, 2-piece silicone/rubber. If I had kept the watch on one of my NATO/Zulu straps it might have still been on my wrist as the pins at the watch would have been the weakest point and would have required both pins to fail, not just one. For a good quality fabric strap to fail (without prior warning of wear/tear) will require a sharp contact at which point you're also likely to have an issue of what else the sharp comes into contact with (drysuit/wetsuit/skin). Watch face now has a small "story" scar, as does the bezel. Not enough to replace the face, and a "good" memory and reminder of how cool DM's and boat captains can be!!

I figured that. I think what I seem to be fixating on is . . . how is it that we're more concerned about a pin/lug breaking on the dive computer before we're worried about the strap tearing or being cut? I haven't done a huge amount of research, but the pins/lugs on my Teric look like their made of metal. So long as I've torqued them properly, is the likelihood that the will break or work loose that much greater than the fabric of a band being torn, ripped, or cut?
In addition to the likelihood, the nature of the failure is also one of the key factors.

Nato and Zulu straps are generally fabric. So, if it were to get cut at some point, there is an opportunity to detect the problem as the fabric may start to fray. If a pin were to let loose, there is usually no warning. At least with a Nato or Zulu, you'd need to have both pins fail to lose the watch/computer.

Back
Top Bottom