New Tanks???????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

25S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought a new Pair of LP 108's from a dive shop in tampa last week when I finally got the tanks home my buddy noticed they were hydroed over two years ago. Is this common to have new tanks hanging around for two years before they get to the customer?

I think that would depend on how busy the shop is, and how popular those tanks are. I dive LP108's but around here HP100's are WAY more popular, so 108's might sit a while. Provided they visualed them when they sold them to you (and they should have), then you don't have anything to worry about.

25S:
I bought a new Pair of LP 108's from a dive shop in tampa last week when I finally got the tanks home my buddy noticed they were hydroed over two years ago. Is this common to have new tanks hanging around for two years before they get to the customer?

I think it's pretty common, especially with smaller lower-volume LDS's that might have high tank prices and have to compete with the 'big shops' who have them for sale for much less.

One of our LDS's sells AL80's for example for $199 bucks. Kinda high. He doesn't move a lot of tanks, therefore he's got several that are getting older in hydro dates.

Usually if the tank has been sitting a year or more, the LDS will have the common sense to discount it a little since your tank-life-before-next-hdyro is shorter now. that and it just keeps the customer happy in situations like this.

mike_s:
Usually if the tank has been sitting a year or more, the LDS will have the common sense to discount it a little since your tank-life-before-next-hdyro is shorter now. that and it just keeps the customer happy in situations like this.

I think it's pretty sneaky if the shop does not at least mention that tanks are > 1 year old to (a newbie) buyer.

The tanks weren't sitting around the shop I ordered them on sunday the 5th and they were delivered to the shop ( EZ SCUBA ) on friday the 10th. I am kinda annoyed that I'll have to rehydro them in 3 years as opposed to 5

Why does the name of the shop not surprise me.....:shakehead:

Distributors will often have some old tanks that have been sitting around so the hydros are part used up, which they sell at a discount. Ethical shops will often buy them cheap, and sell them at a discount.

If the shop just got them in, then either the distributor pulled a fast one on them, or the shop is trying to pull a fast one on you (unless, of course, they gave you a really terrific price, which could mean they were passing the discount on to you but forgot to explain it).

I'd complain.

25S:
The tanks weren't sitting around the shop I ordered them on sunday the 5th and they were delivered to the shop ( EZ SCUBA ) on friday the 10th. I am kinda annoyed that I'll have to rehydro them in 3 years as opposed to 5

oxyhacker:
Distributors will often have some old tanks that have been sitting around so the hydros are part used up, which they sell at a discount. Ethical shops will often buy them cheap, and sell them at a discount.

If the shop just got them in, then either the distributor pulled a fast one on them, or the shop is trying to pull a fast one on you (unless, of course, they gave you a really terrific price, which could mean they were passing the discount on to you but forgot to explain it).

I'd complain.

I Paid $681.56 for both including tax and vip

25S:

What brand were they?

Faber's been shipping some older hydro tanks lately, but at a discounted price also. (for example).

IFor what you paid for them, you shouldn't have had to get tanks that were ordered for that much and not get a brand-spanking-new tank.

They are worthingtons.
I just talked to Eric at EZ and he offered to pay to have them hydroed when they are due.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom