New tank and Hydro date???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Full report:

LDS had no problem giving me the 10/07 hydro dated XS scuba tank in return for my older dated 03/06 tank that did not have XS scuba stamped on the side...

Very happy customer....

Glad that worked out for you, and you learned something in the process. Good deal!

I don't see the point in giving a discount just because the tank is a year older than the other 'new' tanks.

It hadn't been used yet so it's still quite 'brand new'.
Steel tanks (if treated properly) will last practically forever so it's not as if you're "losing life" of the tank because it's a year older.
You have to get each tank hydro'd at some point, regardless of when you bought them.
I'm sure there are bigger things in life to worry about than a hydro date.

However, since you asked for something and the dive shop was kind enough to understand and remedy your issue, kudos to them.

That's why I continue to shop at my LDS: Captain Aqua's... They really care about your diving equipment and all questions concerning the well being of you and diving...

MG
p.s
They do not discount a tank because it's a later date on hydro; it's still a new tank and never used.

...XS scuba stamped on the side...
By stamping are we talking ink or an actual stamping into the metal? This is off the top of my head from a PSI course years ago, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that any stampings below the cylinder crown meant that the cylinder should be immediately removed from service...

Roak

By stamping are we talking ink or an actual stamping into the metal? This is off the top of my head from a PSI course years ago, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that any stampings below the cylinder crown meant that the cylinder should be immediately removed from service...

Roak

With the first X7 worthington with the 3/06 hydro date, there was no manufacture name stamped into the metal...

When they gave me the X7 worthington with 10/06 hydro date, you can clearly see the XS scuba stamped into the metal....

Roak
Many times, tank manufacturers will produce tanks that have their distributor names stamped into the metal (from the factory). If I remember correctly you'll see Worthington tanks that say "Sea Pearls" and "XS Scuba". Awhile ago, Faber made tanks for OMS; they say "Ocean Management Systems" on the sides.

It's not as if the dive shops stamped it into the tank -- this is direct from the manufacturer and is stamped at the same time as all the other tank markings.

Roak

You are correct in that the location of any metal stamp has to be above the crown, where the metal is thicker. Cylinders are not allowed to be stamped (by anyone, including the manufacturer) on the thin cylindrical wall section.

I just recently purchased 4 "new" LP 85's, with hydro dates of '98 on them. Of course the place I purchased them from is a hydro facility as well, so no big deal. They hydro'd them for me and I now have 11-07 hydro dates on them. But in the case of the original post, I would definately ask them to hydro the tank for you, or at least make some monitary consideration.

Back
Top Bottom