New suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichardN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a question that i would like some more experienced divers to answer for me.
Currently i have a 3mm steamer wetsuit which fits me fine, but i am getting fairly cold after an hour in the water.
this is based around my experiences in sydney in may. so its going to get colder for me.

I have a small sized suit btw.
this is what i have now. i think i am getting cold because of the seams not being glued and the zipper not having glued stitching allowing cold water in. as well as having rolled cuffs.

i paid 159 so it was my first wetsuit and is good for summer and sort of warmer water, but i want to dive all year round. so i think a 7mm is a good investment,

adrenalin_green_camo.jpg

Introducing the fantastic new Adrenalin Camo Stealth Steamer, a high quality 3mm stretch neoprene wetsuit which comes in a camouflauge design. This provides a blurred shape which fish have trouble recognizing, enabling closer interaction with fish - it's almost like cheating. The wetsuit also features heavy duty knee pads, a cushion padded chest panel for chest loading, dependable YKK No.10 zips and flatlock stitching & a panel design which prevents underarm rashing.

What my little drama is all about is that when i was at my LDS the nice lady told me she had a suit that she thought would fit me.
it was 900 dollars and was very nice. but a bit too much money for a first wetsuit.

the suit is a Beuchat Focea 2 Comfort 7mm, and at the moment beuchat.com.au is having a 50% off sale so that same suit is now 399.50 with free postage.(only for aussies sorry)

this brings it into my price range.

Focea-Suits-Large.gif

and the blurb..

Comes with Hood.
The Focea line is the flagship suit from the first company to make a diving wetsuit.
Movement made easier by the use of finer materials and adapted design in the "Flex System" areas on elbows and knees.
Oversized protective pads made of flexible "Supratex" material in the most exposed areas.
Special resin ink is used to limit wear and tear at the shoulders, buttocks, and chest.
Collar has a small front zip equipped with an Elaskin gusset.
Ultra-flexible "reversible" double sleeves at the Wrists and Ankles for ease in putting on and effective water-tightness.
New "Water Dam System" for a water-tight back closure.
The Elaskin hood has an Air Escape System design which allows residual air to escape and the Equalizing System on the ear area help with equalising.
Hood design has seamless facial seal (no bothersome seam).
Safety: Visible during day or night due to the Red or Orange luminescent ink on the top of the hood. Increased water-tightness between the hood suit through smooth zones which bind together.
Specific shape of the lower part of the hood allows for all head movement without letting water in.

My question is..
should i pay the 400 dollars now and get one of these in the hope that it will last me many warm years?
the sizing for the Small size is a bit bigger than my current one, and the hips is the part where it most differs from my actual hips. but for 399.50 is it a case of "its a great wetsuit at a great price, go for it?"

or should i wait untill i am actually unable to stay in the water for more than 30 mins before i go and buy one that fits perfectly? and pay the enormous price that would go with it.

i am worried that if i dont buy it now, i wont be able to afford it when it goes back up to 900 dollars.

thoughts?

Last edited:
Well $400 dollars (US) is not exactly cheap for a 7mm jumpsuit but this does seem to be a nice Jumpsuit. I don't have a frame of reference in your currency. Are you questioning if this is enough suit? I would have to say the jury is out on that.

What is the coldest diving you hope to enjoy and at what depth?

I will say that for many divers 7mm with 2X on the core often has a breaking point at about 50F (10C). This would be a John & jacket or a jumpsuit with some sort of hooded vest that doubles up on the groin. My next question would be what this looks like with a hooded vest.

As for the hips, it wants to have a hint of compression all over. Determining that online is a tough trick.

I have some other wetsuit thoughts here that you may find helpful.

Added... I just noticed that you are not certified. What sport are you using this for? If the activity is skin-diving it may be great as is since you are more active and the suit will remain uncompressed most or all of the time.

Pete

sorry, all prices are in the terrible AUD...
at the moment yes its for snorkelling, but in the next few weeks i will start my PADI OW course.
as for my goal with diving, i enjoy underwater photography so something that will keep me warm when im holding still for a while will be good to have.
as for depths i will want to go down to. my colleague at work is the one who is teaching me to dive and is a certified instructor for padi, he does tech diving and i hope to join him once i have learnt the neccesary skills to be safe down there.

i want to be able to use the suit for whatever diving i encounter that doesnt require a drysuit.

is it a good enough suit to splurge on now, to use for a number of years, or should i just wait till i really need the suit, and then buy what i can afford.

Last edited:
Im going to my LDS to try it on now.

as for the thickness. do you think 5mm will be sufficient for year round diving in sydney and NSW. or another way.. is 7mm too thick for AUS - NSW diving and snorkelling?

Last edited:
You need two layers of neoprene over your torso-nads.

i ended up buying the 5mm suit. the fit is great. i love it. i cant wait till i get mine before the weekend.
i tried on the 7mm. an it was so huge, i guess if you are going to be sitting still on the bottom at 55m for 3 hours you might need it but not for anything in sydney i dont think.

yep, i will get a shorty wetsuit to go over the top if i ever find the need for something warmer :)
and im booking my PADI OW at manly dive center on tuesday :)

Nothing makes me like a company more than them honoring an agreement.

Received: Wednesday, 2 June, 2010, 10:55 PM

Apologies – the Small 5mm Focea Wetsuit is now out of stock.

On this occasion, I can offer you the 7mm (which is more expensive) for no extra charge?

Awesome. they are going to get a lot more business from me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom