New subforums for the Greater Caribbean area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it is going to be hard trying to fit all islands in a catagory....most of the Western Caribbean has it own forums Bay islands Cozumel etc....

so in the Caribbean Forum which islands are we talking about...mostly the Eastern Caribbean I guess...so in my first request where would Turks & Caicos fit in??? the Bahama Chain??...maybe it should be concentrated more on the Eastern/Central Caribbean east and south of Florida from the Caymans down to Trinidad and Tobago is that the last island ???not that familar with that area and the ABC islands

edit changed my mind :) I was lost for a minute this sounds better I think

are you guys thinking of doing a complete overhaul? or just add new forums?

Leave the ABC's and all the other current forums intact.

Add Trinidad/Tobago to the "Eastern Caribbean" forum.

Don't know what to do with Turks/Caicos - maybe it's own forum? Even though they're reasonably close to the Bahamas you never read anything that talks about them together.
and cuba can go with PR,DR and jamaica
This makes sense looking at a map. Include Haiti with the Dominican Republic since it's the same island.

Also as much as I could agree with the "Antilles" suggestions when I mention the Netherlands Antilles to most people all I get is "Huh?" Mention Bonaire or Aruba and they know right where I'm talking about. So maybe the Antilles part could go in the description.

H2Andy:
are you guys thinking of doing a complete overhaul? or just add new forums?
We'll keep the existing forums, add a few new ones.

Do you know the frequency with which other Islands are referenced? How about the kinds of questions posed?

I assume that the Cayman's ABC's and so forth are the top mentioned Islands hence there seperate subforum status. Are other Islands close to these top destinations? If so perhaps just adding one or two additional leading Islands would be enough.

Actually I'm not so keen on the "lumping" idea... I think people think about specific Islands rather than areas... So, for example, grouping PR, Dom Rep and Cuba togeather may make geographic sense as all are part of the Greater Antillies... the destinations are very different in there attractions.

Perhaps another idea...

The focus of any reorganization should be the ease of communication between posters and responders.

How about this... for a set of non geographicaly based subforums...

1. Shore Dives; 2. All inclusive Dive Resorts; 3)Advanced Dives; 4) Family Friendly Venues (divers and snorkelers); 5) Destinations for new divers.

You get the idea... determin what are the questions people pose in this section and then organize some subforums to capture these questions.

I see what you mean about the bigger islands tahts a lil touchy... but the easter caribbean should be fine because they offer mostly the same type of diving anyway

Since Cuba is still embargoed by the U.S. maybe it makes more sense to have it's own forum. As the majority of SB users are U.S. based they will have little or no input in that forum. Mixing it in with the other destinations doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

How about this... for a set of non geographicaly based subforums...

1. Shore Dives; 2. All inclusive Dive Resorts; 3)Advanced Dives; 4) Family Friendly Venues (divers and snorkelers); 5) Destinations for new divers.

You get the idea... determin what are the questions people pose in this section and then organize some subforums to capture these questions.
I respectfully disagree, grouping by category will lead to a convoluted mess. Take the first category, as an example you'd have posts for Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman, Roatan, St. Thomas and parts of the Bahamas all in the same thread. Most of which (except the ABC's) are no where near each other.

Seems like that would be counterproductive since most people already have a general idea of what area they're interested in. And if you consider making the 5 categories stickies in the General Caribbean forum, that might work, except then where would someone post info about say Bonaire Shore diving? It might get confusing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom