new strobe to solve my lighting problem!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BLUESEASONBALI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am currently shooting with a Sea & Sea DX 1G wide angle and Sea & Sea 110a strobe, im loving the close ups i get with the wide angle on soft sponges shooting with a relatively fast shutter speed but still using the ambient light from pointing upwards to gain a really nice blue background. however when ever i use a model to muse for me behind the close up subject they always seem to be very underexposed or just not illuminated! im thinking of getting a 2nd strobe for this solution, (maybe a ys27) so that i can shoot the foreground with the ys 27 and use the 110a on the subject behind!

What do you think?

BLUE SEASON BALI

www.blueseasonbali.com

Login | Facebook

Hello,

Sounds like two strobes might help - but one caveat to that.

I shoot SLRs with Dual Strobes usually, but have rented the S&S D1G on occasion when I didn't have my own setup available.

With the D1G, I found it harder to control strobe power and balance ambient exposure with strobe fill. Couldn't seem to get the strobe to fire at full power (even those that was what I wanted it to do!) - the camera seemed to quench the strobe in response to ambient exposure (shoot up into the sun).

So it may be worthwhile to see if there's a way to change the exposure control to fully manual on the D1G - that alone may help to solve.

Having said all that, the strobe fill is determined by three things - aperture, strobe to subject distance, and strobe power. So to get more strobe light on a secondary point of interest (your model), you could get more strobe power (second strobe), shoot at a wider aperture and aim the strobe to light more evenly the foreground and secondary point of interest, or move the model closer to the strobe.

Back
Top Bottom