New standard for DM Gear Exchange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NvScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So I am working on my DM and have heard a rumor floating out there that PADI has (or is) dropped (ing) the requirement for buddy breathing during the gear exchange. Anybody out there able to confirm this? I am not far from doing my gear exchange and I am actually looking forward to the challenge. My understanding is that if the standard is changed I will still be able to perform the skill a second time, doing the buddy breathing then if I want the expereince... Anybody have any additional information on this?

Thanks

SS

So I am working on my DM and have heard a rumor floating out there that PADI has (or is) dropped (ing) the requirement for buddy breathing during the gear exchange.

The buddy breathing aspect of it is the only thing that makes it the task loading "problem solving underwater" challenge it's intended to be. Without buddy breathing there's little difference between the gear exchange and "removal and replacement of BCD underwater" from OW class.

I agree... That is why I am wondering if this is just a rumor or if there is any truth to it. Removal of the buddy breathing would greatly reduce, or completely eliminate, the task loading aspect to the skill. If it is removed my intention is to ask my instructor to complete the skill with the buddy breathing becuase I believe the experience to be a valuable one.

Here you go. Your instructor will have to teach it to you before you do the exchange.
Undersea Journal:
Skill 2 – Equipment Exchange
Removed: Buddy breathing and replace with “while sharing a single second stage.”
Added: Instructor provides an orientation to sharing a single mouthpiece – including exhalation between breaths and not covering the purge valve.
The change may be put into effect immediately, and must be implemented in PADI courses and programs as of 1 June 2010.

So this is a change in language and not a change in the skill as I see it. Rather than calling it "buddy breathing" we will now call it "sharing a single second stage" right? At least thats how it sounds to me.

So this is a change in language and not a change in the skill as I see it. Rather than calling it "buddy breathing" we will now call it "sharing a single second stage" right? At least thats how it sounds to me.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me...

That was the one thing that has stuck with me ever since I took my DM course - a long time ago, in a state far, far away...... - I loved it and it was a challenge - but it was a blast!

The new standard appears to be just like the old, but they don't teach buddy breathing anymore, so I think they wanted to ensure the instructors are teaching it to the DM candidates to ensure they know what to do prior to the gear exchange.

To this lawyer's ear, it just sounds like PADI has abandoned the term "buddy breathing," in favor of explaining the process of sharing a single second stage and is explicly requiring that the DM candidate be taught how to "buddy breathe" before starting the skill.

I know that some instructors argued that "buddy breathing" includes breathing off of a buddy's octo, while they still were using their primary. PADI's change makes it clear that they want you to "buddy breathe" in the old school / Mike Nelson sense. Bravo!!

The gear exchange is going to be a much as a problem solving skill as your instructor makes it.

Its often much more then a simple remove and replace.

If the buddy team is a small female and a large male where gear does not fit correctly. Additionally when I did this back when I was doing my DM course, I was required to fully exchange all gear including wetsuits, fins, etc...

I can assure you a wetsuit exchange is very challenging.

How the heck do you get a wetsuit (I assume a shorty in the pool) off and (someone else's) on while buddy breathing? How would you do it on land?! As far as the semantics of buddy breathing vs. 2 sharing a single 2nd stage-- sounds like something politicians would dream up to keep busy in the legislature. Why would some instructors argue that it could mean someone breathing off your octo? Everyone knows exactly what it means.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom