new species of deep sea coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceana Diver

Reaction score
Earlier this week, scientists revealed the discovery of a new species of deep-sea coral. The new species is a type of bamboo coral found 700-1200 meters in the Gulf of Alaska. As Peter Etnoyer, one of the discoverers, says on Deep Sea News, "The fact that this bamboo coral is relatively common, but new to science, tells you how little we know about the deep sea." Congratulations on the find!

Check out a video of the coral.

700m deep! Nice find and thanks for posting.

The existence of these deep water corals is very intriguing, and adds to my sense of wonder at the natural world (I've given up on the man-made world of economics and politics). You are absolutely correct... there is so much we have yet to discover. That's what makes the life of a scientist (or serious "amateur" naturalist) so very interesting. After 40 years diving here off Catalina, I still discover "new" things every year.

Over 90% of the animals I looked at for my dissertation research don't have species names. :shocked2:

Nobody knows beans about deepwater stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom