UNDERWATER ITALY: Discovering The Deep Mediterranean Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long-John-Silver

Contributor
Reaction score
Today we launch Underwater Italy, a new video channel dedicated to deep diving in the Mediterranean sea.

The YouTube channel is a container through which me and my buddy Claudio Valerio narrate about our dives in the twilight zone, a depth interval, where coral forests, sponge gardens and millennia-old animals form ecosystems that have not yet been directly altered by humans. This is the so-called mesophotic zone, the bathymetric range between fifty and one hundred and twenty meters, which in recent years is proving to be crucial in investigating the impact of climate and anthropogenic changes on our seas.

With our footage we want to unveil the secrets of little-known seabeds where scientific research and exploration confront the beauty of nature.

Seabeds that are actually very close to the most common dive sites where hundreds of divers dive every weekend. And it is precisely in these spots, served daily by diving centers, that technical diving has redrawn and in some cases overturned the map of possible dives. It has given us the ability to combine two or more dive spots in a single trip or find new ones.
This information quickly became the heritage of local diving communities, but transmitted mostly in oral form it is inevitably destined for word of mouth distortion if not oblivion. Hence an additional reason for preserving the memory of these environments and perhaps setting a baseline for future observations.

Out there, a few hundred meters from the diving moorings, close to walls, shoals and wrecks is an unknown world waiting to be (re)discovered.

In the coming weeks we will publish the first video. for now a small trailer only music and images.

If you like it, please subscribe

Congratulations and I wish you LOTS of great luck.

I am your friend from Libya. I am a diver and a scuba instructor/underwater photographer in Libya.

(subscribed with notifications to your channel on YT).

images (1).png

Freaking awesome. Just another reason to be jealous of Italians. Keep doing the good work.

Especially now that our politics are a bigger mess than yours.

In the summer of 2022, we were involved with Argentario Divers in a citizen science project collaborating with Dr. Martina Coppari of the Università Politecnica delle Marche on a study on the reproduction of the Mediterranean black coral, Antipathella subpinnata.

It was an opportunity not to be missed for us to package a "trilogy" of videos documenting all the work done by teams of divers in the water led by university biologists.
In the first of three episodes, after a lecture on the reproductive biology of these beautiful hexacorals, the technical divers dive to take the samples needed to census the Antipathella colonies under study.

Well done! I actually learned something. Thank you.

English subtitles available!

In the second episode, technical divers set up timelapse equipment: through this technique, biologists hope to capture the release of gametes in open water. Substrates are also placed for the eventual settlement of black coral larvae.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom