New soon to be diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mercness

Registered
Reaction score
Wanted to do a quick introduction, I'm Austin from Arlington, Texas. I'm a criminal justice student, and will be taking a Scuba Diving class next semester. Always had an interest in the area, and hope to maybe one day use it with my intended career as a Police Officer. Figured I might as well learn as much as I can before I get to the class! Came across this forum while researching equipment and such. Hope to gain some valuable knowledge and start enjoying what seems to be a very exciting and interesting hobby! :eyebrow:

-Austin (Mercness) Walker

Hi Austin. We have an Introductions forum, but no harm here. Enjoy the forums and click my name to send me a PM if I can help you find something here.

Thanks for your help! I must have completely missed the introductions section. Been reading up on some of the information on here, making me very very excited to get everything started.

Welcome to the board, Austin. A bit of advice about purchasing gear...
Feel free to buy the "personal gear" items (mask, snorkel, booties, fins, gloves?) that your instructor says you must buy.
I'd recommend holding off on purchasing the more expensive items -- reg setup, gauges, BCD, exposure suit, lead weight, etc.
Your college may have a student-run dive club. If so, join it. Typically college dive club members can get access to nice discounts on rentals and new gear at local dive shops.

For what it's worth, you're just a short drive away from ScubaToys. You'll save a ton of money buying your gear there. (Ask for the ScubaBoard 10% discount.) Store employees are super-helpful. There's also an indoor pool in the back where you can demo various items. The prices aren't always marked in-store on items, so I'd recommend doing price-checking prior to your ScubaToys shopping spree.

Good luck!

UPDATE:
Completed my first lab for class today. Didn't get to have any Scuba gear on, just Snorkeling gear. Had a complete blast though. Made me even more excited for This comin Friday's class. We are supposed to start actually getting to use Scuba gear. Made a few friends, and pretty sure I've already found my Dive Buddy for the course. I'll keep updating this thread as I go through the class!

Bubbletrubble- Thanks for the advice! I went ahead and purchased a snorkeling set by Body Glove. I love the dry snorkel. In a pool filled with Chlorine, it was a life-saver. I will be holding off and gradually putting my gear together. Thanks for the tip about the 10% off forum discount, as of right now I get a 15% off due to being in the SCUBA class at school, once I no longer can use that I'll switch to the forum one. I plan on making a trip by there within the next few weeks (Once I have learned what everything is, and actually know what I'm looking at) to go "ohhhhhhh" and "awwwwwwweee".

Update to the update:

Have now done a dive into the deep end I am happy to say that I'm officially hooked. I know I'm still in the learning stage, and have yet to discover the full extent of fun and excitement that is to come. I can't wait till the open water sessions!

Update to the update..to the update...?

Anyways, as of last weekend, I am officially certified to dive. Completed the certification at Lake Athens here in Texas. That was most likely the most fun I have had in a LONG while, and am completely hooked on diving. I'm looking forward to starting to get my own personal gear together (starting with a better mask, fins and booties for sure). Also looking forward to the dive that our school has scheduled in June at Lake Travis!

Congratulations!

Now, go out and enjoy the diving. As Bubbletrouble said, if you have a college diving club, join them, and go diving with them!

Jon

Update to the update..to the update...?

Anyways, as of last weekend, I am officially certified to dive. Completed the certification at Lake Athens here in Texas. That was most likely the most fun I have had in a LONG while, and am completely hooked on diving. I'm looking forward to starting to get my own personal gear together (starting with a better mask, fins and booties for sure). Also looking forward to the dive that our school has scheduled in June at Lake Travis!

How was the vis at Lake Athens?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom