New shop on Maui? Tech dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody with a review?
I haven't been out with them, so I just have some 2nd hand info from somebody that used them and from ex-coworkers of the owners, and 3rd hand info from the girlfriend of the roommate of one of the owners, etc.

They aren't really a tech dive outfit. Although they would probably gladly do a tech charter, they are more like "Have boat, will dive anywhere". They love to dive. They love to explore.

Most of the time they launch from Wailuku on the north side of Maui, which puts them in reach of areas of MOLOKAI not often dived. They also have trailered all the way to Hana and to dive some East/SE Maui sites. During Presidents week I saw them launching at Kihei boat ramp and doing backwall of Molokini.

No shade. No head. Wet wild rides to sites that others don't dive. If that appeals to you, then they are definitely your guys!

As I understand it, one of the owners (Todd) is a tech instructor and will teach the Inspiration among other technical courses. This would, of course, mean he can get his hands on gasses other than the usual.

It's probably worth contacting them to find out details -- there isn't really enough demand around Maui at this point (as far as I can tell) for a business to really be pushing their technical diving side.

That said, I know Maui Dreams will pump a tank with up to 50% O2 (Nitrox) using their blending (the Stick), or they can do 100% O2 fills as well. At this point, they don't have any other gasses available -- just air and Nitrox up to 50%.

Brad from B&B blends the gas for Todd as far as I know. But Todd is a fine instructor and diver.

I'm sure if you have the cash Todd would take you diving! Tim and I have been taking a class from Todd and he seems to really enjoy tech diving... We are going to dive the Bomber for our checkout dive!!! There are some photos of the bomber on the BBscuba.com website dive site pages...

Sean

Some 2nd hand info from somebody that uses SCUBABOARD and from ex-coworkers of the guys, and 3rd hand info from the girlfriend of the roommate of one of the bloggers, etc. Told me that this thread had some questions for me.

As pointed out previously. We have a boat.
We dive exposed waters but are also available for charter on the south side occasionally.
We do love to explore both in recreational and extended range depths. To survive as a dive operator I believe one must be available to as broad a range of divers as possible.

(B&B was mentioned as not really being much of a tech operation which is untrue. While most of their trips are recreational I received much of my technical training and support there.)

We are a new company and as such are building our inventory of equipment. The first goal was to function as a dive operation. We believe we have accomplished that and are now pursuing our passion for exploration further by increasing our ability to accommodate traveling technical divers in addition to ourselves.

So to address the real questions "what are you able to do?'...
We pump our own tanks.
We partial pressure blend.
We have an O2 clean Haskel AGD-30
We can pump pure O2 to 3200psi
We stock Helium and O2.
We support (love, teach and encourage) rebreather diving.
We have a limited supply (ours mostly) of doubles and stages but are looking to procure more and build a rental supply.

Ultimately we would love to see a strong technical community on Maui and play a part in it's development and support. The North Shore supports a unique ecosystem in recreational depth and potentially beyond as well. We also have a large dumping ground both military and civilian within technical range that deserves a good hard look.

So if you are on Maui or are planning a trip here we'd love to talk to you. If your interests are similar to ours, you may find we are worth the price. If you think we are full of it... Come out, money back it you are not satisfied.

You are also welcome to visit us in person or on the web:
786 Alua St. Bay #5
Wailuku, HI 96793
main

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom