New Servers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As many of you know, I suffered a debilitating Achilles Tendon injury while attending "The Blue Wild" Spear Fishing Show. Well, since I can't dive for a bit after the surgery, I tried to find something useful to do with my time and since one of the habitual complaints has been our slowness, I have taken to resolve this issue with a vengeance! Yeah, I KNOW the slowness comes from being POPULAR but I want to be both popular and F-A-S-T----. :D

So, this is where we stand. I have three new servers (our web hosts) up and running in the ScubaBoard office waiting for some more memory. I am only missing the Data Base server which we are diligently saving for! It will be a state of the art Dual Quad-Core Processor, with a metric butt-tonne of memory and several SAS hard drives to handle the queries. We will also be doing some grooming of how our DNS is handled, as that appears to be an issue for some on the other side of the Mississippi.

I just thought you would like to know where we are on this issue, so now you do! If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me. If you want to contribute to our server fund please just GO RED!!! as we can use all the funds we can get a hold of to do this! Thanks!

Awesome news Pete!! :yeahbaby:

PS...I'm red in disguise

Great news. Glad the Red helps. You can see I am Red, but I am actually a ninja warrior in disguise :D...unless the helmet gives it away :doh:

WOO HOOOOOOOO

Glad to see you actually doing something, finally . . .

:popcorn:

Can the new servers block LB? :wink:

Ah heck....life would be boring :rofl3: :surrender:

payment sent :popcorn:

Thanks for your support!

You may not realize this, according to vBulletin, we are in the top half of the top one percent of the forums who use their software in regards to size and traffic. We are not the LARGEST forum by any means, but we are still stretching the limits.

This makes our moves a bit more frustrating to make, as there are no clear cut solutions to what we are doing. Also, the frustration with the economy has trickled down to us, and it's hard to grow when cash is scarce! However, after doing all of the research, our SWAG is that the slowness comes from an inadequate data server.

You will activate SB2 before any drastic moves, right? :lotsalove:

Will this help with the dead Gallery issue...??
Awesome news Pete!! :yeahbaby:

PS...I'm red in disguise
payment sent :popcorn:
Why are you two hiding your Red?

I think I was one of the first and have always been proud show my support.

But then, I am a personal friend of the owner. :D Gotta support my buds. Yeah, Pet's got several thousand personal friends, but still...

Don, you are a ScubaBoard Original! There ain't no debate 'bout that! :D And yes, I consider you a personal friend as well!

There will be little need to employ SB2 when the time comes... The data server will be stopped, backed up, and restored into it's new (and tested) home within about 20 minutes. Most of you will be asleep, and SHOULD there be any glitches, we'll simply revert to the old data server!

And the dead Gallery...?

Back
Top Bottom