new second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
i'd like to get a new second stage.
my 1st stage is a scubapro mk 17.
recreational dives, recreational depths.
normal water temp here at home 40 F to 75 F, plus Caribbean temps
i'm dealing with a great new dive shop that does not sell/service scubapro.
they sell aqualung, apek, poseidon, sherwood, atomic, maybe more.
what would be a good reg to pair up with the mk17.
as always, thanks guys, appreciate the advise.

Poseidon can't be used with the MK17 being a sealed diaphragm, don't do that

I wouldn't mix brands personally, so I'd stick with MK25 or the G260.

what would help though is if you told us what you have now, and what you don't like about it or are looking to improve

i have two s555's, one housing cracked today
my 1st choice would be the G260
i was just trying to see if another reg would work well with the mk17 .. you know, support the shop your dealing with
i'll just have to go to a scubapro shop if mixing is not recommended
thanks

it's not that it isn't recommended, it's more that you have to be careful during service time to make sure that the shop is certified for both brands.

That said, if it's just the housing that cracked, I'd replace the housing, likely cheaper than a new second stage. For Scubapro Dealers, I'd contact Dan's Dive Shop and see what the cost of a replacement housing vs. a new second stage would be.

I agree with tbone, 1) stick with the one brand and it should help with servicing, 2) see if the s555 can be fixed for less than a replacement.

The new s360 is a replacement for the s555 and should cost a bit over 200USD. Or you could go for the s560 that will have the balance adjustment knob. Both will be as good as the s555 (they are the same inside)

Although I understand the reasoning of having reg seconds match exactly, or at least have the same manufacturer, I don't actually follow the practice myself. My first choice is always to repair, but if you can't or it will take a long time, see if your shop has an old Sherwood Magnum or Blizzard hanging around for a decent price. You wont have to worry about where you service the Sherwood, since they can.

Bob

i subscribe to matching seconds, but not brands.

I mix and match Apeks, Hog, Poseidon, soon to be Deep6, and no problems, but I service everything myself, so I don't care. The recommendation to match is due to convenience of service if you have to rely on service centers, which for Scubapro, getting parts officially is near impossible, so you're in a bit of a bind. I'd just get a new housing, if your service center charges you for a rebuild, they're ripping you off. You can do it yourself.
http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/scubapro/Manuals/2. Stage/S600-S550 Repair Guide.pdf
That's the repair guide. Follow disassembly up thru barrel removal, then skip to the bottom of page 13 for reassembly. Should take an experienced tech less than 5 minutes to swap to a new housing and adjust cracking pressure. You need an adjustable wrench for the hose, and an o-ring pick for the stop clips. The retainer nut should only be finger tight, but you may need one of the rubber jar things to get it off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom