New Scientific Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mack Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After months of suggesting customers take the Scientific Diver class at Aquarena Springs, I finally took it myself. In my humble opinion, it was definately worth it. The historical, archeological and scientific information conveyed was very interesting. The training dive was fun. The dives in spring lake itself were fantastic. When I've had a good dive, i usually chatter to my wife like a 10 year old just back from summer camp. I was definately chattering Sunday evening. There is a huge algea bloom going on, but we did not let that dampen our spirits. My buddy and I chose the archology site as our clean up assignment. It seemed to need the most work. While cleaning the site, I came across a fairly decent Clovis arrow head. Yes, it is still there. I'm anxious to get back out there and do another couple of dives. I'm thinking that the shop may be closed on Memorial day, so that will give me the chance I need.

I strongly encourage anyone who has not allready taken the class to do so. It is an experience that is worth every penny. Divers who live in the Austin or San Antonio areas should especially be directed to this opportunity. I provides a safe, clean year round dive spot.

If anyone wants to sign up for a class, call or come by Oak Hill Scuba and I can get you set up. I'll allso throw in half price on rental gear for you to take the class. Those from out of town may want to rent your tanks local, so you don't have to haul them back and forth.

Here is the schedule for the rest of 2007:
June 2nd & 3rd

June 16th & 17th

June 30th & July 1st

July 7th & 8th

July 21st & 22nd

July 28th & 29th-SOLD OUT

August 4th & 5th

August 11th & 12th

August 25th & 26th

Sept. 8th & 9th

Sept. 15th & 16th

Oct. 13th & 14th

Oct 27th & 28th

Nov. 10th & 11th

Dec. 1st & 2nd

Welcome to the charm that is Aquarena Springs....

Mack Diver:
After months of suggesting customers take the Scientific Diver class at Aquarena Springs, I finally took it myself. In my humble opinion, it was definately worth it. The historical, archeological and scientific information conveyed was very interesting. The training dive was fun. The dives in spring lake itself were fantastic. When I've had a good dive, i usually chatter to my wife like a 10 year old just back from summer camp. I was definately chattering Sunday evening. There is a huge algea bloom going on, but we did not let that dampen our spirits. My buddy and I chose the archology site as our clean up assignment. It seemed to need the most work. While cleaning the site, I came across a fairly decent Clovis arrow head. Yes, it is still there. I'm anxious to get back out there and do another couple of dives. I'm thinking that the shop may be closed on Memorial day, so that will give me the chance I need.

I strongly encourage anyone who has not allready taken the class to do so. It is an experience that is worth every penny. Divers who live in the Austin or San Antonio areas should especially be directed to this opportunity. I provides a safe, clean year round dive spot.

If anyone wants to sign up for a class, call or come by Oak Hill Scuba and I can get you set up. I'll allso throw in half price on rental gear for you to take the class. Those from out of town may want to rent your tanks local, so you don't have to haul them back and forth.

Here is the schedule for the rest of 2007:
June 2nd & 3rd

June 16th & 17th

June 30th & July 1st

July 7th & 8th

July 21st & 22nd

July 28th & 29th-SOLD OUT

August 4th & 5th

August 11th & 12th

August 25th & 26th

Sept. 8th & 9th

Sept. 15th & 16th

Oct. 13th & 14th

Oct 27th & 28th

Nov. 10th & 11th

Dec. 1st & 2nd

Joe-Diver:
Algae bloom? When will this be over and the vis return to normal?

Global Warming at work.

More for us to do :)

Personally I'd like to remove the blanket of algae that covers everything, even though the last few times have been assigned to cleaning the springs.

texdiveguy:
Global Warming at work.

According to them, its thanks to all the new manicured lawns in the hill country. The fertilizer works its way to the springs and ka-bloom! When I cleaned archaeological site, I tried to wash the stuff away, but it was instantly replaced by the up-stream supply. I wish they would let us start up at the top and make a clean sweep of the place!

It IS fun, isn't it, Mack. I always enjoy getting down there and having a ball in some of the best vis in Texas, algal bloom or not! Hey, it sure beats the 5-foot vis I had at Lake Elmer Thomas on Saturday!
I'll try to get down there again some this summer.
Thanks for the update and report...I totally agree!
Guba (Bill)

Congrats, Mack.

Congrats on getting the license. I hope to see you down here finning some algae.

Actually one of the issues with the bloom right now is that someone "broke" the harvester that is used to clean up some of the areas. It should be up a running again in a few days and most of the surface should be taken care of, at least marginally.

I was talking with Ethan (Lake Maintainance Mgr), and I asked what how deep "Deep Hole" is. He said it's about a 50' dive... 25' down, and 25' back up. :D

Back
Top Bottom