New Regulator Purchase Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MDL82

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First, thanks for the upfront help. Forum has been very helpful over the years as a reader. First of many upcoming post (hopefully contributing and not questions...lol)

I'm currently in a toss up between an Apeks XTX50 ($225) & a Oceanic Zeo ($200.) First and second stages. Both are new, boxed wrapped, and not from a LDS or online store; purchasing from 2 different parties with receipts. I believe they are great prices! I will only be diving warm tropical waters.

This will be my first regulator purchase. I have rented, borrowed and used my father's old Dacor over the years and it's time for my own gear.

Can I go either way, or is one regulator way above the other?

Thanks for the advice!

Apeks XTX50, hands down. $225? That is a freaking steal. I bought one for about $425 (new in box, still shrink wrapped here on SB late last year). I use it for my pony. Don't hesitate.

Lol. Receipts was the first thing I asked for. I wouldn't be surprised otherwise. I did have a typo the Apex reg is not $225 but $275 (have no idea how that happened.) Still a good deal. Is the Oceanic Zeo not a good price or regulator? Zeo is the higher msrp price out of the two; even though sometimes that doesn't matter.

I know nothing about Oceanic regs, but Apeks have very good reputation. The XTX50 breathes very nicely. Can't go wrong with that one. Still a steal at $275. New is something like $550.

Apeks, no question. Relatively easy to find service world wide. Breathe beautifully if tuned well. Super reliable regs, very easy to self service should you ever decide to go that route. Parts are relatively easy to find, no special tools required other than an easy to buy at a hardware store C spanner. I dove them for over 10 years. Only stopped as I got into older regs. My bank account and OCD wishes I'd just stayed with Apeks and spent more time diving and less time playing. At that price it's a steal, off a truck or otherwise, a good deal. One of my Apeks sets went 7 years without a service, just minor tweaking of second stage. Jump.

Last edited:
Great! Thanks. Since I've used rentals and older regs. Is the swivel something I would miss?

Probably not. Hose push/pull, reg comfort, is most often associated with a too long/short hose. I'd recommend trying a few dives without and see how you feel.

Last edited:
I assume the OP were talking DST(1 st stage) + XTX50(2nd stage).
My work horse DS4 + TX50 is 18yrs old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom