new regulaters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gjenks

Registered
Reaction score
I have another silly question. I have been looking into buying a new reguater, but am wondering if it would be better to use an octopus, or an inflator-integrated air source. While the integrated air source seems simpler I still am not sure this is the best way to go..Thank you.

I prefer using an octopus instead of the integrated air source. First, if you rip my reg out of my mouth, I don't know that I would remain calm enough to reach for my integrated air source. Second, the hose on the octo is much longer than the hose on my reg. Using the octo is much more comfortable for the person needing air. In times of extreme stress (out of air is considered extreme stress to me), the more that is done to make the situation comfortable, the better the chance of making it to the surface safely. In addition, if you are in a location where a direct ascent to the surface is not possible, then it is easier to swim side by side with the longer hose. ages

Hi gjenks,

Call me silly but ... I'd go for the octopus even if the other soution is easier.
Don't know ... maybe it's just because ... I'm kinda used to have that yellow think by my side ... or perhaps because if gives some relieve to see it by my buddy's side. :)

Hope this helps
Cheers

Hey Gjenks,

Good question... I like the simplicity of having the octo and the BC control being one in the same... I do NOT have to look for my octo, it's right there in my left hand! Fewer hoses to hook up and then have to secure. I use the Tusa Duo-Air, while my wife uses the micra. Both are great!

Pete from Orlando...

gjenks,

I personally would stick to the Octo set up. I have the Zeagle Octo+ on my Ranger but I also carry the traditional Octo by my side. The reason I don't like the Octo+ is because if you have to buddy breathe, you now have to take your regulator out of your mouth and give it to your buddy and you now have to breathe off of the Intergrated Octo. Thats just more you have to think about and a increased risk once you take your regulator out of your mouth. Personally they don't breathe all that easy, but they do do the job. Thats my .02 and they do make smaller/slimmer Octos now a days that they don't really get in your way. Enjoy and Let us know what you decide.

Aaron

I use the seaquest air source and find it breaths well at depth and is always easy to access. I have been in the situation of having another diver in an out of air situation panic and the first thing they reached for was my regulator so having my octo on my b/c made for a quick source of air for me. Other divmaster have told me of the same thing happening to them. A OOA diver will spot your reg in your mouth first and guess which he goes for?

In an OOA situation, can you honestly say that you can breath and control your inflation with a buddy hangin a few feet away? Think about it. You've got to hold the thing in your mouth and operate the inflation/deflation buttons to control buoyancy, blowing bubbles in your face next to a panic diver situation.

Talk about task loading at a time when you don't need it!

detroit diver,

Another good point.....I didn't think about that in my post that I wrote. I feel that its just an added risk that divers should avoid.

gjenks....Just get the octo set up and be done with it...for the price of the intergrated octo you could easily get a regular Octo setup and you will have eliminated all possible things that could go wrong with having a integrated Octo.

Dive Safe....

Aaron

Hey Gjenks & All,

Hmmmnnn, it appears that many divers have many opinions, and we are ALL sure that ours is the best. Of course all of you guys (and gals) who think you know everything really annoy the crap out of us who really do...(big grin). I guess my point is, go with what YOU like and feel is appropriate. My Tusa Duo-Air not only gives me easy breathing air and one less hose to worry about, but the high volume of air that it can direct to my BC can be a god send when I realise that I didn't judge that bottom just right. I have over a hundred dives with my Duo-Air and would not want to dive with a plain octo. YOU have to do what you feel is right for you. Sure, listen to the advice, but remember YOU have to live with the decision you make. I have seen those with the integrated octos spurn them all of a sudden and I have seen the converse as well. As divers we are passionate about our equipment, and some times we don't allow for variances among our friends. So have fun, dive often and use the equipment YOU want to use...

Pete from Orlando...

Hey Gjenks & All (again),

I did forget to point out one salient point (no, not a saline point)... I also dive with redundant air. I use a 19 cf pony bottle with a another reg attached and IT occupies the spot where most would put their octo. Give me air or give me my pony bottle! I operate the Office of Utter Redundancy Department for the Office of Utter Redundancy Department.

Pete from Orlando...
Pete from Orlando...

Hey Gjenks & All (again),

I did forget to point out one salient point (no, not a saline point)... I also dive with redundant air. I use a 19 cf pony bottle with a another reg attached and IT occupies the spot where most would put their octo. Give me air or give me my pony bottle! I operate the Office of Utter Redundancy Department for the Office of Utter Redundancy Department.

Pete from Orlando...
Pete from Orlando...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom