New regs - Three months, 80 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Is this reasonable corrosion?

I was at Misool, then Banda, then on a Mermaid crossing trip.

Banda (BluMotion) rinsed the first stage (daily), then poured water over the second stage, Mermaid did nothing because they said they were being used every few hours anyway, and I think Misool ECO Resort rinsed first and second stages in a tank after each dive. We soaked them in the tub in Bali after each trip.

IMG_4160.JPG

IMG_4163.JPG

Last edited:
for that bad of maintenance, it looks about right. rinsing and soaking are two very different things. Rinsing does basically nothing unless it's with a good amount of flow for a good amount of time and occurs before the regulators dry. If they dry first, then it's going to build up and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it

Use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water...no need for a full strength vinegar solution and it can strip off chrome. Rinse WELL after removing the corrosion.

It takes looooooooooooooog soaks to draw salt water from those unprotected threads. I doubt you can expect the dive op to do that.

It takes looooooooooooooog soaks to draw salt water from those unprotected threads. I doubt you can expect the dive op to do that.

true story. One of the better ways I have found was when I was diving in college and didn't have a big enough tub to properly soak gear. I took a rubbermaid bin and put everything in there. Reg fully pressurized with an al19 or something to fit in the tub. Put as hot water as the tap would put out and filled in and put an aquarium recirc pump in there to keep the water moving. Never had any issues and it's pretty simply. You can do it with any tub of water including a sink if you're just doing regs which is nice, but the movement and hot water really helps to break that stuff down if you don't want to attack it with a toothbrush

The toothbrush works on what you can see. But what do you think the inside of that din wheel and the retainer it rides on looks like? Ditto for the threads on your LP hose connection. And the threads where the din retainer connects to the 1st stage body. And the threaded connection between the Spy and the HP hose.

It might be bad enough to need to be disassembled to be cleaned properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom