New Rebel XSi/ 450D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie59

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have seen some information about this new compact digital slr coming in april. It seems appealing for diving because of the live view feature. Is there something I'm not seeing that would keep one from getting this camera?

Do these Canon's allow manual white balance or do you have to shoot RAW and adjust with Photoshop?

I shoot a 350D and always shoot raw but I think you can adjust the white balance. I would buy a couple of the bodies if they fit my housing but the next step for me will probably be the 5D.

I always shoot in RAW as well but you can indeed set white balance manually with the 400D and I am pretty sure the 450D would be the same. I really like the 400D underwater, and personally I like the using a viewfinder vs the live view I had on a previous P&S, but that is just my preference.

I bought the 40D instead of the 400D in February because of live view. I should have read a little more about the feature because it turns out that the mirror is locked up during live view and you have to manually focus. This is a big problem since the Ikelite case (port) does not allow you to focus. This forced me to use the viewfinder and I really like it. With all of that said I really like my 40D but if I were buying right now I would buy the 400 and if I were buying this summer I would buy the 450.

I have a 40d which like bfuqua I bought for the live view function. End of the day it turned out that this is the one function I dont actually need. Having used a 300d and also tested a 40d I can tell you that the performance of the 40d is far far ahead of the 400d in every aspect other than price. personally I would go for a 40d over the 450 but then these things are obviosly a matter of opinion. check out wetpixel and dpreviews before you make up your mind.

also dont try to use the kit lense that comes with the camera. get some good lenses to see the real performance of the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom