New Printer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwlast

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday I purchased an Epson Stylus Photo 1280 printer. Prints awesome pics. Needless to say I'm still climbing the expensive learning curve. Only problem I can't seem to overcome are pics that have quite a bit of blue in them (and have been already cleaned up in Photoshop) seem to come out with a reddish/purple tint. Rest of prints (not so blue or taken with a flash) turn out pretty darn close to what I see on the monitor. Anybody else have that problem initially or suggestion to fix?

Thanks

JW

I haven't done alot of my own printing and have just started looking at photo printers, yours is on my list, but the only thing I can think of is calibrating your monitor to your printer. Have you done that?

Hi JW,

I've been printing on an Epson 1280 for well over a year, and am very happy with the results. As Dee mentioned, you may need to calibrate your Monitor so it matches your Printer. I'm no expert in calibration, and used a rather unorthodox method to calibrate mine ( I used the same DVD to calibrate my monitor that I use to Calibrate my HDTV monitor ).

Most pictures taken without a strobe will be very blue underwater. It sounds like your topside photos are OK. Have you tried using "autolevels" in Photoshop on the blue photos to balance some of the blue? You may have to adjust the RGB channels individually in the photo if it has too much blue in it. Your printer is capable of much higher resolution and color depth than your monitor, and will, unfortunately make marginal pictures look worse.

I hope this helps.

JW:

I have had an Epson Photo 870 for several years and love it. I think the other folks hit on your problem. I have experienced the same thing. When I use PhotoShop to edit my images, if I change hues or saturation or manipulate the color very much in other ways, the image never prints off the way it looks on my computer. It always has a cast or hue to it. I have found that if I only change the hue or saturation a little bit in PS, I don't have the problem. It's usually when I move those sliders out a bit more when the problems begin to occur.

I think I'm about to upgrade to a Canon printer since both our new surface and u/w cameras are Canons.

Good luckLet's get wet!! :tree: :tree: :tree:

Eric

If you are printing from Photoshop or Elements, try turning on ICM color management both in PS and in the printer setup. That seems to work well on C-80 Epson.

Back
Top Bottom