New Point and Shoot!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again for the information, your a huge help.

Well the first day the camera worked well. Took a few shots to get a feel for the strobe (to much or to little light). After taking a ton of shots I came up with a few good ones. Now keep in mind this is the first time using a camera underwater with a strobe.

Cozumel2007-283.jpg
Cozumel2007-284.jpg
Cozumel2007-340.jpg
Cozumel2007-353.jpg

A few more.

Cozumel2007-271.jpg
Cozumel2007-307.jpg
Cozumel2007-333.jpg
Cozumel2007-394.jpg

Camera did well for just point and shoot. Will work on getting the shots sharper if I can. I did flood the camera the second day. The small string got stuck in the housing o-ring. When I was closing the case the wind was really strong. Live and learn! :rofl3:

The strobe worked well but I did find the battery case inside the unit cracked. I have no idea how. The other thing I found was the strobe carry case is falling apart. Looks like I have had it for years. This really is not cool as I take care of all my gear. :confused:

Called Sea Life and with out any question they are replacing both items at no charge. Great customer service so far. :eyebrow:

Called Sony to see if the camera can be fixed. Will send it out today for a repair est. If it can not be repaired then I will order a new one.

Replaced the camera this year as it could not be fixed and Sony wanted nothing to do with me. I can understand their point of view but if you looked inside my home you can understand why I might be a little pissed. All my gear is Sony but it might not stay this way as the last three time I had problems they were a joke.

Over the last few weeks I have been using the camera at local site. Having a hard time getting the flash not light all the junk in the water. So I rigged up a mount to push the flash away from the camera. Used a metal bar for now and if it works right will change to Alum. Looks like it's out about 18in away from the camera.

My question is what is the ideal distance away from the camera? Here a few shots I have taken over the last few weeks. Do you think this is a waste of time or could it help? Thanks in advance for any help. :D
DSC01655.jpg

jdeck.jpg

DSC01462.jpg

jamiebuswide.jpg

I can't really tell from all of your pictures, but have you insured that you have blocked the camera flash lighting up the stuff in front of the lens? You may have to use a little tape. Also, you may find that you can turn down the flash output and still trigger the external flash.

I can't really tell from all of your pictures, but have you insured that you have blocked the camera flash lighting up the stuff in front of the lens? You may have to use a little tape. Also, you may find that you can turn down the flash output and still trigger the external flash.

I will have to take a look at that but I think its covered. Maybe I overlooked that. Great tip Frank! :D

It was not covered so that might be some of my problems. Was thinking the flash mount covered all of it but I was wrong. Now all but the area needed to trigger the flash is covered. Used a few pieces of electrical tape. I will be able to test the camera out on Wednesday.

Any feedback on the extended bar? :confused:

Getting the strobe away from the camera is always a good idea, unless you are shooting really close macro. If you notice most pictures of divers with camera/strobe rigs, the strobes are out at the end of looong arms, sometimes a couple feet away from the camera. Sealife strobes are hard to adapt to these arms, but you seem to have done a reasonable job with adapting your own arm. I am afraid that I was seduced by the dark side and went with the Ikelite housing and D125 strobes for my C5050 ($$$$!), but I used to have a Sealife setup and your strobe looks very familiar. I wish you luck with it. Woody

I think your major problem might have been the camera strobe not being covered.
Moving the strobe further might help as well depending on the size and level of
particles in the water and how far away you are trying to illuminate.

Back
Top Bottom