New plastic submersible, a la Titan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaweed Doc

MSDT
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My non-diving daughter mentioned this to me and I guess I'm a little surprised:

Billionaire planning new submersible

Any thoughts? On the one hand, plastic failed miserably once. On the other, this fellow is wanting to jump through all the safety hoops before putting people in it.

(And not that I'm interested in joining him. Primarily because I really only like diving in the photic zone. Secondarily because I'm not interested in dying. Yes, that's the correct prioritization. I have teenagers, and in a risk/reward analysis death just isn't that bad a result any more....)

[Mods: Not sure this is in the right place. Feel free to move if so desired. Not that you need my permission.]

I hope it gets done. A full acrylic hull would be so freaking awesome.

Did Wonder Women's invisible jet ever go underwater? I remember her flying it with Aquaman on Superfriends but can't remember if they used it as a sub.

If they make an invisible outfit does that mean WonderWoman will be invisible too

dc-Cover-8timdib5mnamjgr4qfp65sr7g0-20170618235601.Medi.jpeg

The latest Titan show I've seen suggested that those dudes that do those things will continue to do those things

Sorry ladies that my statement is Not inclusive, and everyone else

He is very well known in my AO.

Without doing the research I seem to recall that acrylic has been used for deep-sea submersibles in the past; it's certainly a far cry from using carbon fiber.

Meet other beings and die to come back to life and fall in love again

I thought the laminate structure on Titan was part of the problem. Since the acrylic is not laminated, would it not be prone to the same failure?

Ah, of course. Carbon fibre vs. acrylic. Duh. The proven submersibles had acrylic domes of course.

As for the web site, well, engine ears aren't always good with words.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom