Excited to start my journey into tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a pretty new diver, having done only around 35 dives after getting certified a year and a half ago. I wouldn't exactly call my initial OW certification dives "fun" or even enjoyable - it was cold (wet suit in Monterey), everything felt physically taxing, the kit felt foreign and cumbersome, I forgot to equalize, and I don't remember seeing anything that felt especially rewarding or exciting. But I nonetheless felt like I wanted to stick with it - that once I was a decent diver, things would click and I'd enjoy it. The idea of diving still held real appeal even if those initial dives were an uneven experience.

After getting some more dives in, getting my gear configured how I like (goodbye air source, hello octo + necklace), joining team dry suit, etc. I've found I enjoy diving a hell of a lot more than I did in those early days. It's interesting hearing people wax poetic about why exactly they dive and what it means to them. For me it's primarily about seeing incredible things and going places few can or do. Secondarily, I love the idea of actually acquiring skills and acumen in a particular field. I can satisfy my appetite for adventure by bungee jumping, too - but that's just going along for the ride and trusting someone else to keep you alive. With diving I feel like I can be good at something.

Diving brings out the perfectionist in me - I find myself OCD about trim, buoyancy, and the other fundamentals. I practice helicopter turns and backfinning for fun (and also because backfinning is HARD). I've watched hours of videos of tech divers demonstrating gas switching because I enjoy it.

So I finally bit the bullet and signed up for TDI advanced nitrox, decompression and wreck courses. I'll be traveling to Miami to work with James Blackman of Miami Technical. Between then and now I just plan on diving as much as possible, retaking all my SSI coursework, and studying the TDI textbooks. My new ScubaPro Jetfins just arrived, so I should at least look the part - well, almost. I got them in white because I like the high visibility. But I acknowledge that white fins mean that I may never be a "real" technical diver.

Anyway. I'm just so excited and well, I don't have any tech diver friends to share it with. Looking forward to the challenge!

I can totally relate to your excitement and reasons for enjoying diving. I am the same way (practicing drills and skills for fun!). I hope your training goes really well! I haven't done any classes with James from Miami Technical, but I saw him while he was teaching a student in Key Largo last Summer, and he seemed like a nice guy with a good attitude towards his student.

I started down the tech route with AN/DP two years ago, and am about to start down the Cave road. There is a big learning curve from the rec side to the tech side (I am learning new perspectives and approaches to diving every time I have a conversation with people, either in person or here on SB), but if you enjoy learning the materials and are willing to put in the time to practice the new skills, it is so rewarding to see your diving boundaries grow.

My advice (for what it is worth), is be ready to be very flexible in your diving opinions. I am constantly being 'redirected', as I talk to my instructor, and divers with more experience and first hand knowledge than me! There is a lot to learn!!!

@Maxwelll

Good luck with your continued growth. If you have a chance, look up Ryan @custureri of GetAqui in Fort Lauderdale. He is truly excellent at body mechanics and will give you a really solid foundation. I'm sure he will satisfy the OCD in you!

So what on the white fins? I dive low viz water all the time and they really stand out. Plus my buddies can always tell which diver is me.

Don’t buy into the “all black, all the time” dive gear mentality. If you want color, go for it!

I’m just a wee bit past the beginning of my tech journey. Cavern/intro to cave at a mine in WI last fall. Just scheduled the first day of my AN/Helitrox class in a couple of weeks.

Good luck and keep us updated!

So what on the white fins? I dive low viz water all the time and they really stand out. Plus my buddies can always tell which diver is me.

Don’t buy into the “all black, all the time” dive gear mentality. If you want color, go for it!

I’m just a wee bit past the beginning of my tech journey. Cavern/intro to cave at a mine in WI last fall. Just scheduled the first day of my AN/Helitrox class in a couple of weeks.

Good luck and keep us updated!

I currently live in Portland, OR (moving to Boston in a couple months) and with the not always stellar vis of the Puget Sound, I like the idea of being pretty visible so I opted for white also.

How was intro to cave? I sort of view cave diving as a kind of pinnacle of diving, and I'm 100% interested in going that route once I've built up the experience to qualify. While I respect some divers dismiss diving to see "wet rocks", to me it seems some of the most incredible environments of all are in caves.

I can totally relate to your excitement and reasons for enjoying diving. I am the same way (practicing drills and skills for fun!). I hope your training goes really well! I haven't done any classes with James from Miami Technical, but I saw him while he was teaching a student in Key Largo last Summer, and he seemed like a nice guy with a good attitude towards his student.

I started down the tech route with AN/DP two years ago, and am about to start down the Cave road. There is a big learning curve from the rec side to the tech side (I am learning new perspectives and approaches to diving every time I have a conversation with people, either in person or here on SB), but if you enjoy learning the materials and are willing to put in the time to practice the new skills, it is so rewarding to see your diving boundaries grow.

My advice (for what it is worth), is be ready to be very flexible in your diving opinions. I am constantly being 'redirected', as I talk to my instructor, and divers with more experience and first hand knowledge than me! There is a lot to learn!!!

Seems like reasonable advice regarding flexibility of opinions. Opinions are exactly that - hold on to them until you find a better one. In a way I'm also considering this technical training as a sort of primer to eventually learn cave, which has immense appeal to me.

@Maxwelll

Good luck with your continued growth. If you have a chance, look up Ryan @custureri of GetAqui in Fort Lauderdale. He is truly excellent at body mechanics and will give you a really solid foundation. I'm sure he will satisfy the OCD in you!

Thanks for the tip regarding Aqui - just looked 'em up online and it seems like they are a could outfit that could definitely offer something supplemental to my training at Miami Technical.

I currently live in Portland, OR (moving to Boston in a couple months) and with the not always stellar vis of the Puget Sound, I like the idea of being pretty visible so I opted for white also.

How was intro to cave? I sort of view cave diving as a kind of pinnacle of diving, and I'm 100% interested in going that route once I've built up the experience to qualify. While I respect some divers dismiss diving to see "wet rocks", to me it seems some of the most incredible environments of all are in caves.

My cavern/intro to cave class was at an unusual site - a former lead/zinc mine in the hinterlands of SW WI (very restricted access; if you didn't train with this instructor, you don't get to dive there). We were lucky if viz was 20-30ft, but I'm used to that. No flow. Class was a stretch for me. Instructor urged me to do it, saying it would improve my Great Lakes wreck diving, plus it was a way to dive throughout the winter (mine is fall/winter). I swore I'd never do wet rocks in the dark. I enjoyed it enough that I'm planning on full cave this fall (split between the WI mine and caves in MO - lack of vacation time with new job prohibits me doing it half in FL). I'm still sort of shocked I enjoyed it as much as I did. Nice having such a dive site 3 hours from me in the Chicago area. Got a number of dives at the mine over the winter so I kept in practice. I'll get down to FL eventually! :D

I'm midway(ish?) through my PADI tech journey, having finished Tec 50 with trimix. Being OCD about trim, stops, kicks, and doing things task loaded is a great characteristic and should serve you pretty well. I like clipping and rotating bottles for fun - especially challenging in PNW waters with low dexterity.

Good training will push you to the edge of your capabilities, often leave you frustrated at yourself, but you'll look back in time and see how far you've come. If you haven't "died" from messing up simulated failures many times during training, your instructor isn't pushing you hard enough. :)

Good luck!

Diving brings out the perfectionist in me - I find myself OCD about trim, buoyancy, and the other fundamentals. I practice helicopter turns and backfinning for fun (and also because backfinning is HARD). I've watched hours of videos of tech divers demonstrating gas switching because I enjoy it.

My new ScubaPro Jetfins just arrived, so I should at least look the part - well, almost. I got them in white because I like the high visibility. But I acknowledge that white fins mean that I may never be a "real" technical diver.

Anyway. I'm just so excited and well, I don't have any tech diver friends to share it with. Looking forward to the challenge!

Cheers

Absolutely magnificent!

As I was swimming into a narrow hugely silted torpedo room, where one had already died
I realised I would have to learn the backfin I had never performed quickly and satisfactorily

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom