NEW Pier Ban -St. Joseph & New Buffalo, Mi.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"diving or jumping" clearly was intended to mean jumping in headfirst, not scuba diving. An inland diving center near where I live in England had to pass the same rule: the notice said "no diving in" and showed a picture of an unequipped man jumping in headfirst, crossed out.

It depends on how broadly the law/ordinance is written and how aggressive they are going to enforce it. We continue to dive off of the Saint Joseph Pier. The public beach on the North Pier goes right up to the Pier so every day during the summer 100’s to 1000’s of people would be in violation. I am not sure if the local ordinance ended up passing, but I am sure the state one didn’t pass.

I hate to see such bans put in place. I have always enjoyed swimming and snorkeling around the various inlets and piers. But, going there is a little more risky due to boat traffic, people fishing and others tossing rocks (with or without any thought of someone swimming below) - - and etc. I wonder how many of those willing to sign such a law banning the activity have ever enjoyed the activity themselves? I have always surfaced from such places with a big smile and usually, but not always, with a trophy like a hook & sinker, a boat anchor or a just a memory of a few fish scattering off in front of me. Wish these "do-gooders" would tackle more serious issues related to education, better government practices, and finding ways to improve the quality of life for the citizens that are paying their salaries. Identifing fewer activities their constituents are allowed to enjoy is NOT the reason they were elected. Can the bastards!

Last time around I was a vocal opponent. I even believe that the Sanctuary up here took a dim view of this one because one of our shore dives is accomplished by sitting down on the limestone blocks that make up the boat harbors breakwall to gear up. Taken literally that could be construed as "diving" as in Scuba Diving and be a fineable offense. They want to prevent high diving or jumping in the water by kids because one of them got killed in....Holland I think. But this stupid law is ripe with unintended consquences.

Last time I believe it was mentioned that local and State goverments do not truely have the leagle standing to regulate use of a Federal (Corps of Engineers) structure.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

After a more carefull reading all these are from the last time we went through this with proposed State legislation. Is anything here current?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom