New picture of my 125 gallon tank...now Saltwater!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sasscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
No fish yet...have to cycle tank but here is a pic.:D

000_0447.jpg

cfelliot:
Nice, did you built the stand?

Thank you and yes I built it myself. I like that it is one of a kind.

How are you cycling the tank without fish? What is your source of ammonia/ biological waste to establish the bio filter? I'm sure you know that running a clean empty tank does nothing to establish an ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle. Organic cycling is best, I think, because you also establish a useful population of facultative bacteria. BTW, those "instant cycle" bacteria in a bottle products are ineffective, whatever their advertising claims may be.

Nice Sass! What kind of stuff are you going to keep in there?

TOM

fishballer:
are you using live rock/sand?

120 pounds of live rock. Crushed Coral bottom.

agilis:
How are you cycling the tank without fish? What is your source of ammonia/ biological waste to establish the bio filter? I'm sure you know that running a clean empty tank does nothing to establish an ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle. Organic cycling is best, I think, because you also establish a useful population of facultative bacteria. BTW, those "instant cycle" bacteria in a bottle products are ineffective, whatever their advertising claims may be.

Tank is being cycled with store bought raw shrimp and fish food. Shrimp and fish food will break down and begin the cycle. You don't need fish to cycle a tank. No risk when the ammonia spikes. Nothing to kill.

REII:
Nice Sass! What kind of stuff are you going to keep in there?

TOM

Probably peaceful community fish.

that's very cool.

i researched setting up a saltwater tank for over a year, and still i can't get myself to start one.

can't wait to see your tank grow! keep us updated with periodic pics :)

Back
Top Bottom