New P&S Compact Contender? Canon SD4000IS + Ike housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thought I'd get a little discussion going.

Canon SD4000IS / IXUS 300HS

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SD4000IS 10 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical…

10MP
f2.0 lens
720p HD Recording
Low Light Mode
Aperture or Shutter Priority

Doesn't have RAW though.

New Housing from Ike:

Underwater Housing for Sony Digital Cameras

Waterproof to 200'
67mm threaded port

I like the specs of the Canon S90 but don't like the whole control ring thing. Wanted to get discussion going on this combo and see what people's thoughts are.

Do you need full manual to shoot underwater, or will having either A/S control be enough? I do have an external strobe, FWIW...

I like the specs of the Canon S90 but don't like the whole control ring thing.

hmmm.. why would you prefer fumbling through menus v.s. simply spinning a ring? :confused:

Also RAW is a big missing feature, very crucial for any type of post processing you'd like to do. The fast lens + 720p video is a big plus for the SD4000 and many people don't mind just using Av or Tv. Personally I enjoy using full manual, but its not an absolute necessity. The SD4000IS is not a terrible camera by any means but for the same price you get a whole lot more from the S90. Besides the HD video capability the SD4000IS falls quite short.

Last edited:
I think the Canon SD4000 IS isn't a bad choice just because it doesn't have RAW format. Smaller sensor cameras (especially Canon's) have pretty damn good JPEG algorithms as long as you can adjust overall exposure and work to get a well exposed shot.

The addition of HD video also makes this a decent choice. Pair it with a lightweight strobe and WA lens and you have backpack sized system to capture dive adventures simply.

As I've posted previously using my Canon S90 for 8 months (which is a great P&S camera, too) changing f-stops isn't going to result in a huge difference in shots compared to a SLR lens. Just the nature of the beast with little sensor cameras.....

YMMV

dhaas
David Haas Underwater Photography

Attachments

• IMG_4335.jpg
    IMG_4335.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4459.jpg
    IMG_4459.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3331.jpg
    IMG_3331.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 65
To my thinking, RAW is really critical for underwater photography. I would suggest the Canon S90 or the Canon G11 instead.

To my thinking, RAW is really critical for underwater photography. I would suggest the Canon S90 or the Canon G11 instead.

Agreed. RAW really lets you get the full potential out of your images. I currently shoot with a G'series camera "G10" and while its a great P&S, I would recommend the S90 over the G11. The wet lens capability and compactness of the S90 make it an ideal platform for underwater photography. The G11 will give you some fine images but in order to shoot wide angle you'd have to dish out a lot more money then the S90. If wide angle isn't your thing and you don't mind the extra heft + price of the G'series, then the G11 would be a great choice.

67mm threaded port

I like the specs of the Canon S90 but don't like the whole control ring thing. Wanted to get discussion going on this combo and see what people's thoughts are.

Huh, the control ring is the best thing since ice cream was invented, imagine, a camera that you can interface with without pushing buttons and digging through menus?

I fail to understand your issue with the control rings?

I like the little little camera other than no RAW and no manual controls and no Canon housing support. If it weren't for that, and the yet smaller sensor, it would be a nice outfit.

N

Nemrod,

I've just followed the issues people have had with the control ring and the housings.

I'm looking at the Ikelite housing with either camera....

Nemrod,

I've just followed the issues people have had with the control ring and the housings.

I'm looking at the Ikelite housing with either camera....

I guess I am unaware of these issues, no way I would trade control rings/dials for buttons. I suspect you are making a mountain of a molehill but it is a free country, good luck for sure.

N

I disagree ... for most folks reading this thread, RAW is a "nice to have" ... and far less important than the basics of decent lighting and the diving skills that let you compose the shot you see in your mind's eye.

Unless you're planning to market your photos, I don't think RAW makes that much of a difference. I get some pretty good quality images shooting a G10 in JPEG format. I've blown several of them up to hang on my wall at 16 x 20 inches, and they look quite nice at 300 dpi.

For professional photographers, I think perhaps RAW matters ... assuming you're using the appropriate post-processing tools. But most of us who take pictures aren't photographers at all ... much less pro's ... we are divers who like taking pictures.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I guess I am unaware of these issues, no way I would trade control rings/dials for buttons. I suspect you are making a mountain of a molehill but it is a free country, good luck for sure.

N

Do you have the S90? You may be right, last I read on it was several months ago and seemed like people were having some issues with the Ikelite housing and the control ring.

Would love to hear more feedback if there is any.

I've gone back and forth on the RAW necessity. I've had an Olympus without RAW that I loved, then a Fuji with RAW that I really didn't see a huge benefit out of, and now this is camera number three.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom