New Olympus EPL-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragonsrock

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all and Merry Christmas!

Santa is bringing me an EPL-1 with the Olympus housing, I have never taken an underwater pic, so I guess I have a very steep learning curve, in fact I have not used anything other than a point and shoot camera for a very long time.

I am heading to Fiji in about 5 days time and I was hoping that some of you knowledgable folk might be able point me in the right direction. I have absolutely no idea what settings I should even start with. I am just using the standard lense that comes with the camera and I do not have a strobe.

Should I be using the flash that comes witht he camera when underwater or not?

Any tips would be great. A good reference point for anyone prepared to help is that I know absolutely nothing!!!!!

Thanks for any assistance.

Dave

The camera's flash will probably not be very helpful for you as it really is designed to trigger a strobe. But, in the bright, clear waters in which you'll be diving, that shouldn't be a problem.

One other thing, if Santa doesn't also bring you the zoom adapter ring, you won't be able to change the zoom once the camera is in the housing so you'll have to decide, Wide Angle, Medium or Telephoto (macro) at the start of the dive. As someone new to "advanced" cameras, you might want to set it on iAuto and just let the camera decide your various exposure settings, including ISO.

Don't forget, READ THE MANUAL. Have fun and enjoy.

I've been using the camera since April and I love it.

Thanks Peter,

Santa was on his game, he brought me the Zoom ring and an anti reflector ring. I think I will just do what you advised and go with Auto. If I were going to use the flash, would I just remove the little plugs where the strobes connect?

Dave

Dave,

You could take the plugs out (don't lose them!) but I don't think there'd be much advantage. I don't have the housing handy so I can't tell -- just my memory says it is really only useful for triggering strobes. But it can't hurt!

When using your camera strobe get as close as you can get and still focus. Have a great time. Heck you can always shoot video.

They also have 2 underwater modes, wide angle or macro

They also have 2 underwater modes, wide angle or macro

Hi
I also received a e-pl1 from Santa (I was very nice this year ;-) )... Speaking of the 2 underwater mode, I'm unable to program them (I found mention of those mode in the user manual p. 80 but no way to find them in the camera).
Any idea?
Thanks
Fred

Hi Fred,

I too had some difficulties with this, however, it appears to work in any mode other than AUto or SCN. If you set the mode to M then you can simply activate the advanced menu (Menu/Settings/Menu Display (ON)). Once you have doen this, u need to go menu then the advanced menu (it looks like two little gears). Then select Button. Select Function and scroll through until you see the fish.

Once this is done, whenever you are ina mode other than Auto or SCN you will be able to use the function button to toggle between underwater Macro and Underwater wide.

Hope this helps and NO it is not in the instruction manual :idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom