New Old Stock, Any Concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my search I have come across a lot of opinions that piston is better than diaphragm due to fewer parts, easier to self-service, etc. However, when I look at mid-priced regs most seem to be diaphragm. Any reason for this? It would seem piston would be cheaper to manufacture and easier to assemble. Am I gaining anything to switch to Deep 6 Scribble or similar reg, which is essentially the same diaphragm type reg I have now?

the scribble has a balanced second stage, which the cheaper regs in major brands do not have still. makes a significant difference if you have not been using ones that have been tuned lightly.

piston regs really arent that much cheaper to manufacture once you get up to economies of scale. diaphragm regs are a bit more forgiving of poor rinsing than unsealed pistons.

In my search I have come across a lot of opinions that piston is better than diaphragm due to fewer parts, easier to self-service, etc. However, when I look at mid-priced regs most seem to be diaphragm. Any reason for this? It would seem piston would be cheaper to manufacture and easier to assemble. Am I gaining anything to switch to Deep 6 Scribble or similar reg, which is essentially the same diaphragm type reg I have now?

the regulator with the fewest moving parts on the market is a diaphragm *Poseidon MK3*.
The easiest regulators to learn to self-service are diaphragms IMO. Less special tools, no shims, etc etc.

Old school pistons like a MK2 are easier with less parts, but if you want to service a Scubapro MK25 vs an Apeks DST? It's much easier to service the DST.

If you go to a Deep6 Scribble you have a lower total cost of ownership, no risk of parts going away even if Deep6 goes under *same basic design as a myriad of other regulators*, and you can self-service if you want. AUP and Huish will not allow their parts to be sold to consumers, but with Aeris now the dealers can't even get parts for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom