New Old Stock, Any Concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at either getting my regs serviced after my next trip in February, or replacing with new regs. I have come across a vendor who has some new Aeris regs on sale for a really low price. They have to be a couple of years old since Oceanic took over Aeris a few years ago and no longer brand anything Aeris. Would you be concerned about new regs that have never been used? Any concern about O rings or diaphragms getting dry rotted or other issues from sitting? Thanks.

Depends so much on the conditions in which they were stored and for how long. I`ve checked out gear that hadn`t been serviced in 10-20 years that still functioned. If the vendor is any good they would guarantee the regs. If you are really worried about it have them serviced before diving or do it yourself with help from Scubaboard members. Good luck!

That is a tricky question. Oceanic supported Aeris when the brand was first discontinued, but Huish washed their hands of the discontinued brand when they bought most of what was left of Oceanic.

So, no OEM service kits available anymore, and zero vendor support. There was a time when you could find an Oceanic kit that was close enough if you really knew both brands well, but Oceanic has since made some (retrofit) upgrades to their diaphragm 1st stages, so I don’t know if that has affected the compatibility of current kits, or if it is valid to perform the same upgrade on an Aeris 1st stage.

So unless you know for certain how you will have them serviced in the future, don’t assume it is a no-brainer.

And I am still sitting on two NIB Aeris sets in my shop... dang it all.

What regs are you using now? And are you doing service because it needs it, or because of the recommended service cycle, and what is the recommended cycle?

Not that I’m adverse to buying a discontinued reg at the right price, but there is no sense doing it if you have a better reg in your hand.

Bob

I bought a bunch of brand new first stages that were made in 1996. Whenever I need another one, I just hook it up and use it without any problem in the last 20 years.

I am currently using the same set of 1st and 2nd stage regs. Aeris AT400 DVT and Atmos Sport. I have about 80 dives on them and they have worked flawlessly thus far. I just returned from Coz last Saturday and I am going back in Feb. I was going to get them serviced because it seems like it is probably getting to be time. When I was looking for a service center I found that a shop has my same setup still new in box and it is less than the cost to service what I have. That is really the only reason I am considering them. I was thinking of maybe getting a more expensive set, but I am not sure I would be able to tell the difference. Of course, next year I will be in the same boat, so to speak, with discontinued regs that will need service. I hate to consider something disposable but for the price it almost seems so. Thanks.

Read the thread at the link below, it gives checks to determine if the reg needs service.

Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)

I would stretch out the time until service and put together funds for a reg that can be serviced over time like Sherwood, AquaLung, Scubapro, and others that will be suggested.

I’m not opposed to picking up the other reg and using them as long as you can. The downside is how long they will be supported.

I fix and dive vintage regs that have no support, so you know where I’m coming from.

Bob

In my search I have come across a lot of opinions that piston is better than diaphragm due to fewer parts, easier to self-service, etc. However, when I look at mid-priced regs most seem to be diaphragm. Any reason for this? It would seem piston would be cheaper to manufacture and easier to assemble. Am I gaining anything to switch to Deep 6 Scribble or similar reg, which is essentially the same diaphragm type reg I have now?

I have to agree with a few others on this thread, about the negative prospect of purchasing discontinued items from now defunct companies. It has become difficult and often expensive to source OEM parts, for older models of well known regulator brands, much less more recent or fly-by-night efforts. Just witness the responses of a few here, to the news of old caches of parts being found, for great regulators from the 1970s, which still see water.

My advice would be to invest a bit, in whatever name brand strikes your fancy, one with a proven track record and some local dive shop support, especially if you have little interest in working on the equipment yourself . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom