New/old Nemrod Silver Snark III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldBubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Not "vintage" in age but still a double hose, the Nemrod Silver Snark III from the 1990s, does anyone have any experience with these?
I'm picking one up for a reasonable price to try it out. It is circa 1992-ish. Yoke says 4000psi and has an LP port.
How do these breathe compared to say a rebuilt Aqua Lung like a DAAM or a Mistral rebuild?
Are parts available for these late model Nemrods?

For the most part, parts are not available however you can always put a USD hose loop on it if the hoses need help. Performance wise, I have not dove one but considering they do not have any type of venturi assist, my guess is the breathing should be OK but not on par with a well tuned DA or Mistral.

Used a Nemrod Snark 3 in 1974 for about 4 months. Worst breathing regulator I had ever used so got rid of it.
Get rid of the 1 inch hoses and put USD hoses and mouthpiece on it. The Nemrod hoses are like sucking thru a straw

@OldBubbles
I have two units- dove them once or twice- cannot comment on performance
The USN used the regulators after US Divers ceased producing 2 hose regulators

They are an extremely well designed and well constructed regulator
Until the present they have been ignored by the "Vintage" collector
I suspect some day they will be rediscovered and become a desirable collectable regulator

So dive the regulator or pack away or hang on the wall

Good luck

Not "vintage" in age but still a double hose, the Nemrod Silver Snark III from the 1990s, does anyone have any experience with these?
I'm picking one up for a reasonable price to try it out. It is circa 1992-ish. Yoke says 4000psi and has an LP port.
How do these breathe compared to say a rebuilt Aqua Lung like a DAAM or a Mistral rebuild?
Are parts available for these late model Nemrods?

OldBubbles,

First, that is not a LP (low pressure) port, but rather a gauge port for a submersible pressure gauge. It is HP (high pressure) air coming out of that port, and if you put a LP line for an octopus or worse yet, an inflator, it will overpressure and burst the hose.

I have a Nemrod Snark III that I've been using for years. It is not the Snark III Silver, but a generation before that one. The Snark III internals have not changed to my knowledge through these generations. The differences include the addition of a high Pressure port, the mouthpiece, and the looks of the case.

I have identified two major design problems that affect the performance of the Snark III:

1. The mouthpieces are undersized, resulting in restrictions to breathing, especially at high demand.
2. The Venturi (yes, it has one) is improperly aimed. The air designed to go down the intake horn actually is aimed upwards, and impacts the diaphragm, pushing it up, inhibiting the flow.

I have modified my Snark III in two ways to address both these problems.

A. I removed the mouthpiece, and replaced it initially with a Hope-Page mouthpiece (a vintage mouthpiece available in the 1950s for the Healthways Scuba regulator). Then I went back to the Nemrod mouthpiece, removing the non-return valves, which helped. Then Vintage Frank from Germany gave me a English mouthpiece (Norgille?) which is now on the Snark III hoses. This works very well, as does switching totally to the U.S. Divers/Voit hose/mouthpiece system.

B. I have placed a makeshift "baffle dome" within the regulator, made of plastic from a one-gallon plastic milk jug. This does not impinge on the lever system, but does deflect that air stream toward the intake horn while blocking that same air stream from hitting the diaphragm.

With these two modifications, my Snark III breaths the equivalent of a USD Mistral at 500 psig or lower tank pressure. This is because of its upstream design, much like the Mistral in it's second stage. The Snark III regulator becomes a very easy breathing regulator, and because of its double lever system, cracking effort is very low. Note, it's said to be a three-stage regulator, but the "third stage" is simply an overpressure relief valve (OPRV), which is necessary because of the upstream second stage. Without it, a first stage malfunction could explode the regulator.

There is a group out of Turkey that has put together a Snark IV adapter/first stage (see photos below) which will convert a Snark III Silver into a thoroughly modern regulator with both LP and HP ports. I cannot remember the people involved, but did save these photos of what they have crafted.

SeaRat

PS, I'll see about getting photos a bit later (on a different computer).

PS1, Found it:
Finally! Today I was able to assemble the prototype of what promises to be the only news for Nemrod bitrachea regulators that appeared in the last half century. A modified Nemrod Snark III or V-2 with a compensated first stage and equipped with 4 LP exits and two HP outputs to connect manometers, octopus consoles, inflators, etc. Such an element cannot be improvised, and this is the fruit of the long and close collaboration with that precision mechanical genius that is Ernesto Critzmann. Constantly flying pieces from Buenos Aires to Barcelona and vice versa, discussions and opinions until late hours of the morning, laughter and above all, illusion. But we finally have a mounted, calibrated, tested and fully operational prototype. Few things will have to polish. Naturally, neither Ernesto nor I are one of those who make things easy. We only get to work if the ′′ experts ′′ tell us it's impossible to do so. It's not the first time, nor will it be the last. The Snark III Silver (the most modern ones) will not be able to be modified at the moment. It must be impossible... We'll see...
Enrique Dauner

PS2, note that these outlets will be with metric threads, not U.S. Standard. That means that either an adapter or metric hoses/octopus need to be used with this modification.

Attachments

• Snark III Baffle1.jpg
    Snark III Baffle1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 175
  • Snark III Baffle2.jpg
    Snark III Baffle2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Snark III Baffle4.jpg
    Snark III Baffle4.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Snark III Bafle3.jpg
    Snark III Bafle3.jpg