New OLD Diver Regearing up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daddo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I lurked on here for a while especially during Covid and just bit the bullet. I just got Recerted for diving after 20+ years. First certed in 68. I am now in the process of regearing. Use to dive with an AtPak and Scubapro Pilot. I am now looking at Poseidon even though there is not much West Coast support for them. Any real pros or cons to Poseidon or Scubapro. I seem to be drawn to the XStream Deep. A Rebreather is in my Dream Collection.

Paul

Welcome Paul,

I used to dive with an At-Pac too! See pic below of me in about 1979. As for your regulator question, as between the two, ScubaPro is going to be easier to find service for than Poseidon, although both make good regs. My 2 psi.
TH8v2H.jpg

I lurked on here for a while especially during Covid and just bit the bullet. I just got Recerted for diving after 20+ years. First certed in 68. I am now in the process of regearing. Use to dive with an AtPak and Scubapro Pilot. I am now looking at Poseidon even though there is not much West Coast support for them. Any real pros or cons to Poseidon or Scubapro. I seem to be drawn to the XStream Deep. A Rebreather is in my Dream Collection.

Paul
17 years ago I moved from the UK to the Caribbean, my trusty poseidon gear came with me.
Very little support in the USA for Poseidon. Getting service was an expensive joke.
I moved to Scubapro and never looked back.
I do about 300 dives year as an instructor, light servicing I do myself, every 2 years I have my regs professionally serviced in Miami.
My Mk17 / g260 is now 12 or 13 years old.
Quality is worth spending extra on.

... Any real pros or cons to Poseidon or Scubapro. I seem to be drawn to the XStream Deep. ...
@Daddo,

I continue to dive my Scubapro Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable regs that I purchased new in 1987 and 1988. I service them, myself. (Very easy to service.)

I haven't dove my Poseidon Odin regs (purchased new ca. 1994) in many years. If I ever again dive very cold water and/or my HP cylinders (Sherwood Genesis/PST 3,500 psi cylinders) generously pumped, then I absolutely would switch to my Poseidons. (Note: Although I was taught how to service my Poseidon regs, and I purchased the tools required to service them, I actually have never serviced them.)

rx7diver

To me poseidon rules, and are immortal!
But scubapro is easier to service. Anyway, you won't beat the valve with any
I do prefer both over apeks

Scubapro is the most practical option for you. Atomic is another high end option. Their factory is in CA.

Congrats for your return to SCUBA. Where have you been?

Poseidin Cyclons are great regs. The others are a little weird. Well, actually they are all sort of weird. The Cyclon is immortal :). You really have two choices, Scubapro or Atomic. If you have money to burn a titanium Atomic or Scubapro titanium Mark 25 and titanium S620. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and just get a Scubapro G260 set and either a Mark 17 Evo or a Mark 25 Evo. Or maybe this:

And then get making up for lost time :). Also certified in about 1966 and pretty much continuously active, the more I dive the more I have come to the conclusion that simple is better than complicated which why despite owning several expensive regulator sets, my choice for my recent Red Sea bucket list trip was a dirt simple and reliable Scubapro Mark 2 Evo (that is right, a Mark 2 E) and some prettied up old G250s backed up by a Scubapro Mark 17 Evo and G260s.

Just saying:

Was just diving my SP Pilot regulator with a Mk VII Honker last week.

Welcome back!

I'll echo what everyone else said, there are plenty of places that service ScubaPro in the US (even if they make getting parts-kits as a hobbyist difficult). That includes a number of the older Scubapro models. I don't know if I've ever seen Poseidon regulators in the US, at least with my regular shopping around on the used-markets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom