New diver introduction from Langley BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeliMech

Contributor
Reaction score
Whitehorse, Yukon - land of very little diving
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

My name is James.

Tried diving for the first time when I was 12. Open Water Certification course in Vancouver with a dive shop that doesn't exist anymore. Heavy gear for a kid, long walks for shore dives with weights, no drysuit and horrible (and terrifying) visibility in Howe Sound...lost interest after second dive.

I'm 46 now and it has always bugged me that I never followed through with it.

Did a Discover Scuba Dive in Punta De Mita, Mexico last February and I was hooked after diving the Marrietas.

Returned to same dive shop and location this October to complete our OW certification. Conditions weren't great but it was nice to learn and experience some adversity in big swells, slightly rough surface etc.

My awesome girlfriend has been along for the ride. Unlike myself she completed her PADI OW as a kid.

I'm back home in Langley. Drysuit Cert. Course pool and ocean dives are next week.

Looks cold. I can't wait.

Hard to explain it but I'm drawn to diving in a semi-profound kind of way. It's hard to put the world and regular life behind you on land but underwater I'm alive in the moment. Like being instantly on another planet.

I have learned a bunch from these boards over the last 10 months.

Thank you.

James

PS

I'll confess I am a gear nut (in all things) and I know the pitfalls. But I like having my own stuff. I never buy the absolute best but try to get a good deal on decent enough equipment.

Gear so far...

Zeagle FH 7 w/F8 Octo DIN
Cressi SPG w/Leonardo dive computer
Cressi R1 BCD
Cressi wrist compass
Bare Trilam Tech Dry Drysuit w/T200 Undersuit.
Scubapro Seawing Nova fins.
Scubapro rock boots
Cressi Big Eyes Evo Crystal mask
Cressi Ultra Dry snorkel
Seasoft weight belt
Underwater Kinetics C8 L2 light

A tech Diving buddy is lending me some DIN tanks next month when he cleans out his storage locker.

Welcome and happy diving! You'll enjoy having your own gear, and the familiarity that comes with it.

Richard.

Welcome. I live not to far from you over in Aldergrove. After cert there are a few options for getting out regularly. In the weekends a couple of the shops put on fundives to get people out diving and it's a good opportunity to meet new divers. I also joined the Fraser Valley Scuba Club and have met lots of divers there, some instructors and divemasters, and it has been great getting out on club dives and having their knowledge to draw on. Have fun and dive.

I’m in Langley too. Just finished my open water. Ans signed up for advanced. If I looking to get out let me know.

Back
Top Bottom