New Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Seeking comments from users of the new Oceanic Delta 4 reg.??? Thanks

texdiveguy:
Seeking comments from users of the new Oceanic Delta 4 reg.??? Thanks

I just bought a used Delta 3, with pison first stage. I bought it from a dive shop. They did an overhaul before I took it. I own an Apeks and like it. I have about 100 dives on the Apeks The Delta seems to be about as good. One thing that is different is that the delta's inhalation adjustment has a very wide range. If closed down you have to suck the air out and if opened up all the way it can provide slight positive pressure breathing to about 60 feet. I bought the Delta for my 14 year old son who will be taking OW class soon. I thought I'd dive with it for a few weeks to try it out. So far my opinion is the Oceanic is under rated and a good value.

Just picked up a new 2005 Delta4 reg.,,,,set it up tonight....will dive this weekend and report back. The owner of my LDS has one and just loves it, says it breaths so easy.

I got to try my wifes new Delta 4 with FDX 10 first stage tonight at the pool. She switched the mouthpiece to a Sherwood wisdom mouthpiece after trying out the standard Oceanic mouthpiece which she didn't like.

Pros

Ultra smooth delivery
Very dry in all positions
Hose configuration is similar to the ATX 200 and is very comfortable.
The standard swivel hose is much, much, much, better than the Atomic as it is not nearly as stiff as the Atomic swivel when pressurized.
Very light weight second stage.
Ease of breathing at depth, I don't know yet as the pool we were in is about 17 ft deep.
It is about $100 bucks cheaper than a S600 and about $200 cheaper than a B2.
Comes with blue, yellow, and black second stage color themes. (This was my wifes favorite option!)

Cons

Original mouthpiece not to comfy and seemed to cause a little seepage in awkward positions.
Slight squeek on inhale from the 1st stage. I believe this is the d.r.t. resonating as air passes by. (Not very noticeable) Probably something a little christolube would cure.
Bubble interference not up to par with an Atomic M1 or a Legend.

The reg she replaced was an Atomic B2 which she liked but other than bubble interference and possibly a better breathe at depth this seems like a more likeable reg.

Gillty

Buddy and I just dove ours this week in the Keys. Overall, I liked it a lot. Very easy to breath... we got down to 100ft and it felt like we were breathing at the surface. I like the swivel mouth piece and the overall fit of the second stage. As was mentioned earlier, it does have a little squeak that freaked me out at first. You don't hear it as well when u are diving as u do listening to someone else. It will be intersting to see if this causes issues with fish when taking pictures, its definitely higher frequency noise than what I had with my old reg. Also it did free flow a couple of times at the surface when i left the main second stage valve open.

I'm going to switch the hoses around from the configuration that comes from the factory, basically putting the high end of the rig lower so it doesn't bang my head as much. Its a suggested config from Oceanic.

Have now used mine several times. GREAt reg. and really breaths with ease. Seems like a winner.

Just got back from Coz where my wife used her new Delta 4 on every dive. It was great except for one thing. It squeeked on every inhale. I guess it wasn't that noticeable at the pool. If you have ever heard a scubapro reg whistling well this was more annoying than that. If anybody else experiences this please let me know.

Thanks

Gillty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom