New NAUI dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a divemaster under training and am supposed to lecture on the "new" NAUI dive tables as part of my requirements. I'd appreciate any help from members here who have had the oppurtunity to use it.
Pointers to resources on the web or otherwise would be of immense help.
Thanks,
Voyager

Voyager,
I don't think there are "new" NAUI tables. NAUI instructors may teach either the regular NAUI tables or the Canadian Civil Defense (DCIEM) tables. The DCIEM tables are fairly straight forward but you do need to read the instructions. They are interesting in that they have been tested to be used as multi-level as well as square profile tables. They have also been tested extensively in cold water. Try this link to DCIEM.

http://www.dciem.dnd.ca/DCIEM/welcome_e.html

Neil

I am familiar both with the regular NAUI tables(Based on earlier Navy tables) as well as the Canadian dive tables. But my instructor seemed to imply that they had released either a newer or an updated version of the dive tables.
I found no information in NAUI's website. But thanks anyway, I'll keep looking
Voyager

Good day:
who is the lecture to be aimed at?? the basic student?? the advanced or leadership student?? Have you been given a time limit.

I'm not aware of any "new" tables, unless he is referring to the nitrox tables, 32 & 36%, following the same design as that of the regular naui air table.

Recalling my own instructor training, they are not real concerned about the content, just the presentation, the latest in teaching techniques is
1/ Tell them what you are going to tell them
2/ Tell them
3/ Tell them what you told them
4/ Any questions??

back to ya

John

Well, the lecture itself is to determine a divemaster's( me) teaching ability. The audience basically will consist of other divemaster students like myself and 2/3 instructors who will evaluate. The content itself is not that important( I could've chosen some other topic but now I'm stuck with it) but rather if I follow the VOOBS rule( the 4 points that u mentioned) in my presentation. Lecture will be for 15 minutes

Anyway I found out that NAUI will be releasing these new tables in the near future. It is supposed to be called 'Gradient bubble tables' or 'Gradient bubble reduction tables ' or something like that. The person who told me this wasn't very sure of the name. There's supposedly some info. on this in the latest issue of the magazine/Info. newsletter that NAUI sends to it's members.

hmmmmm I jsut looked in the October issue of Resources, didn't see anything sorry...........

RGBM, "reduced bubble gradiant model" it's the latest theory, some of the newer computors are using this algorithym already, such as Cobra & Vyper form suunto.

If'n I recall, there seems to be an article in the Nitrox diver web site, and the Abysmal web site, worth reading

back to ya

good luck

john

Yeah, it's the RGBM theory. I found a whole bunch of information on the Abysmal website where Dr.Bruce Wienke(who is the proponent of this model) is a consultant now.
Apparently NAUI will introduce tables based on this model in the near future. Some technical person at NAUI HQ confirmed this.
This should be enough for my lecture.

p.s: Also, Abysmal's latest computer is also incorporating this medel.

Are the new NAUI tables similar to the PADI Wheel concept?? I am only familiar with the wheel - but from what my OW instrctor told us - it was a great improvement over the old PADI table.

The PADI wheel was an attempt at crediting the diver for multi level dives, much like your computor does very easily. The PADI wheel doesn't use the RGBM alogorythym, this theory is relatively new, if I recall correctly it's based on either a 6 or 12 hour tissue-nitrogen elimination (can't remember which), where as the Navy and NAUI tables use a 24 hour tissue-nitrogen elimination. Tables at best are square profiled, meaning they are best used if you are going to dive to the depth you plan, stay the time you plan, and not vary the depth, which in reality rarely happens. The wreck may lie in 100 ft of water, and you went to 100 feet, but really only stayed there for 2 minutes looking at the mud, the rest of the dive you spent at 80 ft on the deck checking out the artifacts (which then becomes a safer dive considering that you planned it for 100 ft). This is where the computor is the way to go, credits or penalizes you for your dive, but on the same token the tables are a good foundation to start diving from and back up if'n things go bad with the computor.

mho
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom