New Member with Whale Shark ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdenise

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, have read many posts on this board, was real helpful with questions I had regarding a pony bottle, nope not going there again...lol. Would like to know if anyone has dove with the whale sharks in Belize and any info you can give me on it. I would like to do a trip down there this spring. I read where the liveaboards don't do whale sharks so that answered one question so now to find a good package deal. Thanks for any replies. Hope I can find the replies if I get them.

One of our divers saw one off of Key Largo last week, but your best bet would probably be Deep Blue on Utila.

Glad you joined us...

:cowboy2: don

My dive buddy and I were the first down on the Duane Wreck off Key Largo. I was 100' underwater when Jonathon and I sighted a Whale Shark. I went to 70' to get the photo's and my camera was having some problems. I had to turn the camera on and off to get the photo. Send an email and I can send you a photo.
Scuba cat

catharine9:
My dive buddy and I were the first down on the Duane Wreck off Key Largo. I was 100' underwater when Jonathon and I sighted a Whale Shark. I went to 70' to get the photo's and my camera was having some problems. I had to turn the camera on and off to get the photo. Send an email and I can send you a photo.
Scuba cat
Hi Ya Cat...!!!

I posted your pics on this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=123800

You need to go there and claim credit for it. :thumb:

(Disclaimer: I have never been to Belize): My g/f and I are headed to Tobacco Caye in April. Go to or google: www.belizeforum.com They can answer all of your LDS and package questions.

Beyond that, this is what I know from my own research and trip prep: the WSs appear in Gladden Spit 3 days before and 3 days after the full moon in April, May, and June. They feed on the spawning fishes' eggs. A fairly consistent price is $200 per diver.

Staying in the north (Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye) puts you quite a distance from the dive site (but the WSharks have to get there somehow, its just that Gladden Spit is THE guaranteed location). A better trip is to fly into Belize City and head south. Staying in Placencia seems to be a popular and cost efficient idea. If you can afford it and don't mind the rustic settings, staying on one of the Cayes is a better bet.

Hope this has been a good jumping off point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom